One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#76 2018-12-05 05:56:56

wolfgang

Re: Is the drama gone?

Like the OP said though too, at least for me, I dont see MOST of them as griefers but as part of the game - part of the experience. If a lone player manages to kill every female in a town without being stopped isnt that the fault of the other players to not stab them or shoot them? And if they do succeed its another story to be able to tell about the game, about jack the ripper who managed to kill without ever being seen. Whenever I have seen murderers so far it generally ends up with most of the town chasing them down in a big group.

Baby kidnappers / murderers? My very first time logging into this game had me spawn as a princess and get kidnapped. I played on a friends account and had not watched the trailer, seen no videos and knew nothing about the game and my first experience was a kidnapping. And I loved it. The fact that the game let this happen is amazing and helped get me interested.

The people who grief in ways that are more sabotague im not so sure about. I would prefer if they griefed in a more RP way. Hoard food because they are a dooms day prepper, steal all the knives because they are crazy and a murderer and so on. Id like to see more RP friendly trolls.

#77 2018-12-05 08:22:58

lionon

wolfgang wrote:

The people who grief in ways that are more sabotague im not so sure about. I would prefer if they griefed in a more RP way. Hoard food because they are a dooms day prepper, steal all the knives because they are crazy and a murderer and so on. Id like to see more RP friendly trolls.

Well sabotaging and enjoying other peoples (real not role played) misery is what griefing is about. You are talking about a different thing then.

There is no "roleplay" in continuing to shear the last sheep the second it is unwatched until the compost cycle breaks and to counter that guarding the pen a whole life is a boring job. There isn't "roleplay" as in running into the bakery and put on an adobe on the oven to make it a kiln. There isn't a "roleplay" in running around town and sharpening all the stones you can find and turning all the flint into arrowheads (which can be a huge annoyance in an older town where you have to go quite a way into the wilderness to find rocks/flint). There isn't a "roleplay" in filling each and every bowl with something useless hard to empty and clutter all the town with it. And yes to the other thread, there isn't a "roleplay" in popping out as a baby, let yourself being fed and then run away full speed to poke bears just to be likely reborn in this village again. You can do this quite a few times until the 30 minute lineage ban kicks in.

Would the game be utterly boring if none of these things happened? I doubt it. And bears would better be just naturally go out of their cave every so often to hunt for food.

In my opinion it is all about proper balance. You will never be able fully stop toxic players that play to enjoy others misery. But you can balance the amount of input they have to give with the amount of damage they can cause. When as in before the curse system, due to fast respawn mechanics and little input required, a tiny minority, can disrupt a vast majority in several villages for good. Something is broken. And if it gets too much and there is too little to oppose it, it will make stop people playing.

In my opinion the game is in it's core a "PvE" not "PvP". And no, society didn't evolve to handle criminals. Because then it would have been better off everyone would just life by themselves as some animals do. Societies evolved to handle nature as community... as also many animals live naturally in a herd. And thats not to stop "griefer animals".

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-05 08:55:50)

#78 2018-12-05 08:38:40

lionon

wolfgang wrote:

Every life that I have seen someone with a crown, there always ended up being some interesting RP. Not always from the person wearing it when im born, but sometime during the life at least. In one town I was born twin females with my friend and an old lady gave him a gold crown as a child before she died. When he grew up, he declared himself queen and began trying to instruct new children that were born on what to do when they grow up and such. As he had children, he told each one that they could be ruler one day if they outlive him and are better than their siblings. He had something like 6 or 7 children, all boys except 1. Some of the children RPd as royalty well and made for some fun interactions. As time went on the oldest sibling took his mother off to the side and asked for permission to do what needed to be done, and after being granted permission, proceeded to kill off the members of the previous royal bloodline as most of them seemed to be griefers.

During this witch hunt, the queen was killed by a misplaced arrow and died in a field in town. She had not yet chosen an heir, and all of the siblings had been present for the hunt. A bloodbath ensued. The brothers all killed each other until only one remained, and as he put on the crown and began to speak his sister casually walked up and stabbed him as well, before being killed by a small child who had picked up a knife who wanted to end the battle once and for all. Me being near death due to old age at this point, I searched far and wide for a member of the royal bloodline, but alas they were all dead and I was the last. I gave the crown to the child who killed the princess, as she had earned the right, and promptly died on the spot after telling her to continue our rule.

------------------------------------

Ive had a couple other very fun interactions involving crowns, but its always exciting when I am born and see someone with a crown somewhere.

Haha, that old lady was me, you can see her life in the ".(potential) Megathread". Crazy how people get their head around a worthless piece of metal. Next time I got handed a crown or got my hands on one I will just hide it deep in the wilderness tough. Preferable give it to some lady of some lake to give it someone worthy only. smile

This drama that unfolded has nothing to do with "griefing" tough.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-05 08:39:16)

#79 2018-12-05 16:22:51

mrslax

To be fair I had to Clean up the pop of a bell town once or twice and did not enjoy it. Rebuilding the compost cycle or the berries and needed to get rid a lot of new players so the town can heal and have food for productive people. This issue mostly happens in big bell town and it's far and few between. It's kinda funny when people are looking for a grifter where there isn't one. yes, doing pop control sucks, and it can be misunderstood as griefing but it is necessary when it is needed.

pop control is like bring a bear, hog, or mean pitbulls into town to clean out any new players. what makes this different from griffing it should only happen once, to get the town back to 100%, it's mostly in a controlled manner and you help clean up the mess. It is not hiding tools, wasting bowls, killing crops... 

A question can someone being nameless be cured?

#80 2018-12-05 17:35:50

jgtogi

Those are some interesting stats about murder however I think there is a correlation/causation issue going on here. Murder isn't increased because of the curse/donkey town system. It's boredom that increases the rate. This is why murders happens in towns more frequently. People get bored when they don't have to worry about food and water and thus go for the quick fix for their boredom. However, this creates an anti-fun situation for other players and should be punished harshly. I think the curse threshold needs to be lowered. That and give out more curse tokens. The biggest issue with the current curse system is that a person is powerless to stop a griefer if they use their curse token and don't have a weapon. It creates a massively unfun situation.

Also, don't give lineage bans to people that were murdered. This is a punishing the innocent mechanic that shouldn't be done. Donkey Town should mirror our own justice system that we have in the developed world. If you do a crime and people don't want to play with you. You get jailed at that time is suppose to be long and unfun. If eight other people are willing to use up a curse token (finite resource) on you. You deserve to be sent away from other people for hours. You should also consider capitol punishment for repeat players. Which in this case would be banning players. Calling this drama is a misnomer imho it is simply griefing. Ruining other peoples fun should never be a justified outlet in a co-op game like this. If you really want these unfun murder mechanics to stick around and degrade your game over time add pvp and nonpvp servers.

#81 2018-12-05 18:24:52

gabal

I never griefed but in my opinion griefers don't happen very often in early generations. At that moment it is much bigger challenge to keep the town going then to destroy it as they are very fragile at that time.

Personally, I haven't cursed in weeks. I play only one or two lives a day so partly it is that and I have a personal rule that I don't curse based on second-hand testimony. It isn't that there aren't any griefers - last night somebody destroyed a file while we were working on shears, griefed the pen and hid bellows. In the end a cousin was keeping two blank steel blades in a basket she held in the middle of the village while we crafted new file. I didn't use curse as I wasn't 100% sure who did it.

Griefers are still here, they just had to get more sneaky. And I enjoy dispatching them to donkey town.

#82 2018-12-05 19:31:22

Sumanitu

A griefer is defined as someone that gets bored of the game and causes chaos just to amuse themself, or because they had a bad day and think it will make them feel better. Griefers are never "good" drama. They ruin the experience of a game for everyone and should be discouraged at all costs.

"Good" drama is thematic. A different lineage of players that have a camp nearby yours deciding to steal all your iron, or murder all of you and take your camp because you have more natural resources nearby is interesting drama, not trolling/griefing.

As for tuning the curse system, I would suggest putting a limit on how many curses you can receive from one lineage, and how many curses you can receive in one life. If it takes X curses to go to donkey town, your family or a neighboring lineage can curse you for X/2 at most on this current life, and you can only receive X-1 curses in a single life. This protects players who were wrongly cursed just because they made mistakes such as opening a sheep pen or picking up a bow and clicking a player on accident while trying to move around.

#83 2018-12-05 20:20:26

lionon

Wikipedia, being bored of the game is not necessarily a condition.

Wikipedia wrote:

A griefer or bad faith player is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game (trolling), using aspects of the game in unintended ways.[1] A griefer derives pleasure primarily or exclusively from the act of annoying other users

Personally I would also not focus on the "unintended way" so much. A griefer is a person that gets a kick of feeling from the empowerment of having made or many others angry or destroyed their work.

gabal wrote:

I never griefed but in my opinion griefers don't happen very often in early generations

This is understandable, I mean destroying an eve-village that would have likely died of anyway is not a (sick) feeling of empowerment. Of course griefers look for big towns. The anonymity the bigger the place helps too.

I've never griefed in OHOL, that is doing bad stuff unpurpose. I may have made the one or other bad decissions that had ill effect on others tough. I experimented with griefing in other online games, simply because I wanted to understand it. Made me feel bad tough.

If something is griefing or part of (role)play is all about the intention. For example baby snatching, if you play a tribe that wants to grow by baby snatching from a town and then raise the children, fair enough. In terms of survivability it might be smarter to play collaborative but anyway all fair and square in my opinion.

If you do baby snatching to lock somebody up and force feed him, only to enjoy the idea to have some player somewhere being miserable they cannot suicide, they cannot respawn, then this would be griefing.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-05 20:23:58)

Board footer