One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-04-18 23:21:08

Morti

Re: As some of you noticed

I need to lay something to rest, at the cost of digging up old, dead drama.

Twisted, was the reason for this shit. He was the main reason. When nearly all other players in 2018 were accepting their starting conditions in the early days of this game, when nearly all other videos you watched, from people on Youtube and Twitch, took place in small, Eve villages, Twisted videos, the majority of the time, took place in the largest towns on the servers. People in Twisted's comment section, even asked him "How do you always manage to wind up in such big towns?" and sometimes he responded, telling those people that he ran away from his mother as a child to die in the woods to be born to a new mom.

Being one of the moms that had to deal with him doing this, was devastating, when the population of your village was low and depended on babies, maturing to adults, gathering resources and having children. Hundreds of towns, died, because of this behavior. And he was the only person making videos of the game, daily, that showed life in big cities.

I can understand, that from his perspective, it seemed like the right thing to do, to get those good videos out, keep his views up and his audience entertained, but it was wrong from nearly everyone else's perspective. The game was not designed for that and Jason had to make special accommodations, for Twisted and the people he inspired, to suicide on their mothers, as conditions became desirable or not, to the point where only the best, biggest, most successful town on the server, was where he and others, eventually wanted to be.

So while we, were building up small towns, making them medium, making them large, he was focused, on giving up on small and medium towns and going straight to the largest ones.
When there may have been 10 small camps, 3 medium sized ones and one, giant town, twisted was suiciding on his mothers in those small camps that needed a child, that needed help, the most.

Now, I know, Twisted has attracted a lot of people to this game with his videos, maybe more than anyone else. A lot of you have seen his videos, a lot of you probably love watching them. I watched dozens of his videos in 2018 and just as many, if not more, from other content creators on this game. I played the most hours in the game, every day, back then, 10 hours a day was my average, 16 hours a day was not unusual, I skipped days of sleep, to get in 20 hours, many times.

I guarantee you, what you saw in most Twisted videos, were very rare conditions to be born in, especially, if you were playing full lives everyday, and playing a dozen full lives a day. Now, I do, forgive Twisted for being the root cause of this terrible behavior. Like I said, it devastated most players who were in dire need of a child, to keep the town and family, they loved, alive. He didn't know, and he didn't care. All he wanted, was a good video for the day, to edit and get out to his audience.

All I ever wanted, in bringing this up, was for him to come forward, and apologize. For him to say, he understood the harm he caused, and apologize for it.
But instead of that, Jason made accommodations, for this unusual behavior, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, became a part of the game. And good people left.
As good people have done, every fucking time, Jason has gone out of his way, to accommodate bad behavior, into the game itself.

There were not that many people playing this game then, and there aren't now, because all of the people who would have championed this game across the internet, have been broken, by Jason's actions himself.

This is why some of us love, this game so much, that we stick around here, yet still throw shade, his way.
He made something good, but he is also, ruining it. I don't know why. I don't know what, good, has failed to reach his mind, or what ill thoughts, exist in him, but he is not as good a person, as some of you seem to believe he is. Neither is Twisted. Neither of them will sacrifice their own reputations, for the sake of honesty.
Yet here we are. Twisted is still making videos, and Jason is still corrupting the game.

#27 2020-04-18 23:44:03

Caprys

f

o

l

d

f

ff

ol

oops you're dead. But if it makes you feel better, at least you died in the warm embrace of your fourthy year old mother with no chance of escaping. That's nice.

#28 2020-04-19 00:20:53

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

morti playing 20 hours a day isn't an achievement it's mental illness.  I wouldn't suggest anybody doing that, live your real life, love your real family.  I feel for you.

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#29 2020-04-19 00:35:49

Spoonwood

morti wrote:

The game was not designed for that and Jason had to make special accommodations, for Twisted and the people he inspired, to suicide on their mothers, as conditions became desirable or not, to the point where only the best, biggest, most successful town on the server, was where he and others, eventually wanted to be.

No, he did not have to introduce the suicide mechanic.  He could have had some sort of choice screen available to at least some players, perhaps, based on generation length of the latest death in the family.  Greater generation length corresponded to more built up areas, even if it wasn't a perfect correlation, didn't it?

I do agree that though sudden infant death syndrome isn't a happy thing to have in the game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#30 2020-04-19 00:39:01

Spoonwood

FishRfriendsnotfood wrote:

morti playing 20 hours a day isn't an achievement it's mental illness.  I wouldn't suggest anybody doing that, live your real life, love your real family.  I feel for you.

I'm not sure that Morti thinks of such as an achievement.  I would say that him skipping days of sleep isn't good for his physical and mental well-being, though whether he does that anymore isn't clear.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#31 2020-04-19 03:15:06

Alterior

Jason, I have a suggestion to make baby time more useful, give an optimal reason to stray from mother for a moment and potentially generate more drama on occasion.

A baby tool slot.

A single slot that can only be assigned/reassigned during those first three minutes, by interacting with a tool as a baby.
If it's not used, it disappears.
Like an affinity, an exposure to a tool at a very young age.

Berry bushes are weeds, tear them up, set them on fire. Corn is the food of the gods.

#32 2020-04-19 07:23:48

DestinyCall

I'd support a baby tool slot if you learn tools by playing with baby toys.

I want a little shovel to dig in the sand.   And a little pickaxe to break round rocks.    It would be so cute!

#33 2020-04-19 07:38:55

testo

Yeah, that would be so cool, a little knife to make small wounds. And a little bow and arrow to shoot people in a playful way, like a shot in the eye or something. And a little baby car! It could run slowly at adult speed... And the little plane could teleport babies a very short distance like 20 tiles.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#34 2020-04-19 07:43:54

Gogo
Banned

@morti you played it for 20 hours a day? Man, get a life. I've been playing because I'm disconnected from my own family and my mom died for cancer. Get a life, real one! Best wishes for you.

#35 2020-04-19 14:09:22

MistressZues

pein wrote:

cat really think of interesting stuff as baby

as a mom i miss out on work

should be some small bonus to their growth

increase normal weapon held time to 20, also limit each clothing like shoes 2 year old, pants 3, body 4, pack 10, apron 20
baby intelligence would be a skill, esentially would add up to years until twenty, unlocking clothes

moms would need an UI for trainign kids, step left, right, find a medium tile spot, etc.
also small task on gathering like a quest
get 5 kindling or clay or a basket made
plant milkweed or water bushes, put soil on berry

this would be a quest, this things are always needed so not that bad to enforce it, so toddlers would work to unlock clothing slots

I disagree with ALL of this, he just said and I agree doing this would make his game like every other game out there. weapon stats? UI skills? requirements for ''armor'' and clothes. nuh uh

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#36 2020-04-19 14:59:45

Twisted

Morti, I think you're greatly overestimating the amount of suiciding I did. I played the card I was dealt most of the time (let's say 9/10 times), the only exceptions were when a) I was trying to play with someone before the twin system was added, or b) when a new tech item was added and I wanted to spawn in a city where that tech was reachable. You can look through my OHOL playlist and you'll see that the vast majority of my videos are in fact in small villages.

I apologize if I ever ran away from you as a baby, but blaming me for bbs suiciding becoming mainstream is just silly. People were suiciding long before I first did it.

Board footer