One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-10-10 00:16:49

Jk Howling

Re: [DISCUSS] Zoomed Out FOV mod - discontinuation?

Honestly I'd probably quit if I no longer had access to a zoom mod. While I tend to use awbz's a bit more often thanks to his additional features and dynamic zooming, it sounds like quite a few players still utilize your 1080 mod- and honestly it was the first mod I tried since buying the game.

I think a lot of people would agree that after getting used to being able to see further than 2 tiles away, it'd be unbearable to go back to the claustrophobic lifestyle of the original client. If Jason is too narrowminded to understand that, I imagine he's going to lose a lot of players if and when you eventually close down the mod.

-Has ascended to better games-

#27 2018-10-10 07:07:53

PeaGirl

I personally think that having way too far eyesight on surroundings beats the game's challenge whatsoever. The boar that you spotted, the griefer that you saw red handed, the resources that you thought weren't there are actually near you.

I don't want to be a dick, but it beats the purpose of having skill of remembering the surroundings. Remembering where is the danger etc. It makes the game in my opinion almost unplayable from own perspective, when almost everyone knows where to go, know where not to go, knows resources without asking etc.... people communicate less with each other when everyone knows what there is to it. Even griefers cannot get away with it when there is someone who has programmed eagle eye on their usage. It beats the purpose of OHOL of being actually challenging! It makes all the achievements you make feel less like it was worth anything.

But if I am really honest... 1,5x is not bad idea... 2x and over is too much. OHOL is meant to be a survival game that actually challenges your playstyles from your previous experiences, not because you can see everything and do all necessities without scouting first. It's stupid, and if it was possible, it should be prevented.

Edit: If you really want to go being cheater and enjoy game, go play Slither.i.o or some other game that have cheators like you who use zoom out to spot other enemies... I personally stop playing OHOL since people use this to benefit zoomout. Since I wanted OHOL to stay difficult... if this mod ever becomes official... I'd even wish for a refund.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-10-10 07:15:55)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#28 2018-10-10 20:28:08

randypandy

i didn't know one existed, thank you!! i'll go check it out and see if i can figure out how to use it. lol

#29 2018-10-10 20:31:56

randypandy

elicea wrote:

One question, I do have is the mod has been out a long time in terms of this game correct? Why is he only having an issue with the mode now? I even remember in Drakulon's post about the mode Drakulon saying himself if Jason doesn't approve or like it to delete his post or let him know something like that its been awhile sense i read it.

I could understand if the issue was with Awbz mod as that is still kind of new in the world of one hour one life.

It just confuses me on the turn around. Not sure it should all things considered but it does.

(plus the zoomed out mode or some version of it is used kind of heavily in the streaming community)

do you happen to have the link to it?? thanks

#30 2018-10-10 20:39:28

Tarr
Banned

randypandy wrote:

https://github.com/Awbz/OneLife

Link to the page just scroll down to the installation section. Download the first zip file under Assets and put that into your game file. Have fun with your new variable zoom.

fug it’s Tarr.

#31 2018-10-10 20:45:09

randypandy

Tarr wrote:
randypandy wrote:

https://github.com/Awbz/OneLife

Link to the page just scroll down to the installation section. Download the first zip file under Assets and put that into your game file. Have fun with your new variable zoom.

Hi Tarr, thanks so much. I read the requirements section and it says, "Pre-compiled releases of this modified client are currently for Windows only. Feel free to compile from source for Mac/Linux."

So does this mean it won't work for Mac?

#32 2018-10-10 22:39:11

tana

not yet...
Awbz' working on a mac version though and he needs volonteers to try it out.
You can find him often hanging out in twitch streamer's chat big_smile
just check if one is online
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/On … One%20Life

Last edited by tana (2018-10-10 22:40:03)

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#33 2018-10-10 23:24:07

subria

I like zoom mod. I always play with it.

Ownership is the solution for everything.

#34 2018-10-11 01:20:28

randypandy

tana wrote:

not yet...
Awbz' working on a mac version though and he needs volonteers to try it out.
You can find him often hanging out in twitch streamer's chat big_smile
just check if one is online
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/On … One%20Life

thanks tana! hope they come out with one soon!!

#35 2018-10-11 21:02:09

Sovietico21

PeaGirl wrote:

I personally think that having way too far eyesight on surroundings beats the game's challenge whatsoever. The boar that you spotted, the griefer that you saw red handed, the resources that you thought weren't there are actually near you.

I don't want to be a dick, but it beats the purpose of having skill of remembering the surroundings. Remembering where is the danger etc. It makes the game in my opinion almost unplayable from own perspective, when almost everyone knows where to go, know where not to go, knows resources without asking etc.... people communicate less with each other when everyone knows what there is to it. Even griefers cannot get away with it when there is someone who has programmed eagle eye on their usage. It beats the purpose of OHOL of being actually challenging! It makes all the achievements you make feel less like it was worth anything.

But if I am really honest... 1,5x is not bad idea... 2x and over is too much. OHOL is meant to be a survival game that actually challenges your playstyles from your previous experiences, not because you can see everything and do all necessities without scouting first. It's stupid, and if it was possible, it should be prevented.

Edit: If you really want to go being cheater and enjoy game, go play Slither.i.o or some other game that have cheators like you who use zoom out to spot other enemies... I personally stop playing OHOL since people use this to benefit zoomout. Since I wanted OHOL to stay difficult... if this mod ever becomes official... I'd even wish for a refund.

This, exploits and cheats like this should be always banned, Jason has taken the path to complice with the people that want everthing fed to their mouth, donkey town is an example of this policy and bias. If game is meant to be fair and challenging and donkey town was just a step in that direction then this should be banned at all cost.

#36 2018-10-11 21:55:35

VioletLily

Sovietico21 wrote:

This, exploits and cheats like this should be always banned, Jason has taken the path to complice with the people that want everthing fed to their mouth, donkey town is an example of this policy and bias. If game is meant to be fair and challenging and donkey town was just a step in that direction then this should be banned at all cost.

I am fine with games being challenging. I love a challenge. I am the kind of person who dives headfirst into the hardest mode offered when starting a game.

The reason I use zoom mod is because animals coming out of nowhere can't be considered a challenge as there is nothing I can do to prevent it, as I said in my post. If that one thing could be fixed, I would have no reason to use a zoom mod. Maybe add animal tracks to tell you one is in the area so you can find another way around? Just something so I don't die in a random 'lightning strike from God' kind of way. I already avoided areas with a lot of trees and kept a close eye out, but it wasn't enough. There was never enough time for me to act. I see the animal and I'm dead. I should be able do something to help me live before I die. As it is, skill doesn't come into play when an animal goes after you from the top/bottom of the screen, and that is a game-breaker for me.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-11 21:56:32)

#37 2018-10-11 22:03:18

Sovietico21

VioletLily wrote:
Sovietico21 wrote:

I am fine with games being challenging. I love a challenge. I am the kind of person who dives headfirst into the hardest mode offered when starting a game.

The reason I use zoom mod is because animals coming out of nowhere can't be considered a challenge as there is nothing I can do to prevent it, as I said in my post. If that one thing could be fixed, I would have no reason to use a zoom mod. Maybe add animal tracks to tell you one is in the area so you can find another way around? Just something so I don't die in a random 'lightning strike from God' kind of way. I already avoided areas with a lot of trees and kept a close eye out, but it wasn't enough. There was never enough time for me to act. I see the animal and I'm dead. I should be able do something to help me live before I die. As it is, skill doesn't come into play when an animal goes after you from the top/bottom of the screen, and that is a game-breaker for me.

There are biomes where there are no dangerous animals, the green, yellow and snow areas. Plus when on swamp, dessert or tundra, then walk slowly, i travelled lots of km without getting hit by anything, done a lot of eve runs without it also.
Its not that hard to not get hit by an animal.
Sometimes you will get hit, thats the point, thats the rol dangerous animals fulfill. But if you know what you are doing then those will be the less.

Last edited by Sovietico21 (2018-10-11 22:04:22)

#38 2018-10-11 22:23:22

VioletLily

Sovietico21 wrote:

There are biomes where there are no dangerous animals, the green, yellow and snow areas. Plus when on swamp, dessert or tundra, then walk slowly, i travelled lots of km without getting hit by anything, done a lot of eve runs without it also.
Sometimes you will get hit, thats the point, thats the rol dangerous animals fulfill. But if you know what you are doing then those will be the less.

I did all that. There is always a slight lag in this game for some reason. I know it's not on my end either. Lag plus animal coming at you equals death every time. Animals can travel across biomes as well, so it is possible to run into them elsewhere. It has happened to me. It is great that you can handle being killed by complete chance, but I can't. In my mind, if death can't be prevented by skill in some way, there is a problem.

I have to admit, I rarely got hit myself, but when it happened by complete chance it just ruined the game experience for me. I would be okay if I got hit while actively trying to avoid the animal or when it jumps out from behind a tree. That's fine, the fault lies with me in that case. But when you take all precautions and still die because it suddenly appeared seemingly out of nowhere from the top/bottom of the screen, there is a problem.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-12 04:50:32)

#39 2018-10-12 04:35:09

boggers

Some food for thought: if your vision in the real world was as myopic as the default view in OHOL, you would be legally blind.

#40 2018-10-12 08:09:38

PeaGirl

VioletLily wrote:
Sovietico21 wrote:

I did all that. There is always a slight lag in this game for some reason. I know it's not on my end either. Lag plus animal coming at you equals death every time. Animals can travel across biomes as well, so it is possible to run into them elsewhere. It has happened to me. It is great that you can handle being killed by complete chance, but I can't. In my mind, if death can't be prevented by skill in some way, there is a problem.

I have to admit, I rarely got hit myself, but when it happened by complete chance it just ruined the game experience for me. I would be okay if I got hit while actively trying to avoid the animal or when it jumps out from behind a tree. That's fine, the fault lies with me in that case. But when you take all precautions and still die because it suddenly appeared seemingly out of nowhere from the top/bottom of the screen, there is a problem.

It is a problem, when you take game extra seriously for one or two lives when you decide not to stop walking when lagging.

Only beasts and animals that chase after you for real are the bears. Now since the temperature run has been patched, you have less reason not to stop by and check where to go. Animals always move to empty slot, so if you are lagging, or are just not careful enough, there is possibility to just idle for a while and check for animals.
Besides, the challenge is challenge, regardless no matter how many deaths you have to witness. True challenge is accepting your death and moving on.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#41 2018-10-12 09:01:06

Tramax

The strongest argument you can make is, "I don't want to be ambushed by a random wild animal and die."
But that just makes me question... Do people who use this logic likewise mod their other tough survival games?
For instance in Don't Starve do you play with a mod that shows movement of every dog or Krampus on the map when they're coming for you?
In Project Zomboid do you have some kind of mod that allows you to see through curtains and doors while blocking you from sight of the zombies?
When you play Teraria-esque games do you have a minimap of every biome?
The thing with how those games are designed is that there's a hurdle of learning what is risky to do and what is safe. There are always cues for you to know such as the environment changing and sound effects. There is an element of bad luck when you die to things, especially as an experienced player but that's nothing compared to roguelikes!

Secondly, the somewhat feasible argument is tracking communal tool location/threats
In many ways that holds water, however the social experiment side of things of this game and its concept is how it effects how you trust other random people who you have next to no ability to detect who they were in their previous lives. In the case of severely problematic players the curse system balances it, as for something like a bear - players can warn others pretty quick.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#42 2018-10-12 16:25:47

Catfive

I find it too narrow a field of view in default. Loving the awbz 'on the fly' adjustable zoom options now!

Last edited by Catfive (2018-10-12 16:26:14)

#43 2018-10-12 22:07:23

VioletLily

Tramax wrote:

The strongest argument you can make is, "I don't want to be ambushed by a random wild animal and die."
But that just makes me question... Do people who use this logic likewise mod their other tough survival games?
For instance in Don't Starve do you play with a mod that shows movement of every dog or Krampus on the map when they're coming for you?
In Project Zomboid do you have some kind of mod that allows you to see through curtains and doors while blocking you from sight of the zombies?
When you play Teraria-esque games do you have a minimap of every biome?
The thing with how those games are designed is that there's a hurdle of learning what is risky to do and what is safe. There are always cues for you to know such as the environment changing and sound effects. There is an element of bad luck when you die to things, especially as an experienced player but that's nothing compared to roguelikes!

Secondly, the somewhat feasible argument is tracking communal tool location/threats
In many ways that holds water, however the social experiment side of things of this game and its concept is how it effects how you trust other random people who you have next to no ability to detect who they were in their previous lives. In the case of severely problematic players the curse system balances it, as for something like a bear - players can warn others pretty quick.

I have never modded any other survival game. In don't starve, for example, if you get killed it is your fault for lack of skill, whether by a player or animal/monster. Death can always be avoided in that game, so I'm not sure it is the best example.

I have also never modded another game that involves people competing against each other, like slither, mmorpgs, don't starve etc. With the exception of maybe graphics mods, it feels like cheating to use them. In this game, with the exception of griefers (who most likely use a zoom mod themselves), there is no disadvantage to other players when I use a zoom mod.

I actually haven't modded any other game that involves an element of chance. Most other games I have played implement this well. I don't really believe this example is. In my mind, it would be like playing flappy bird (chosen because most people are familiar with it) and having a random chance for a lightning strike to come out of nowhere to kill you. Now I'm wondering what is wrong on my end that prevents this "ambush" from being preventable, as it seems you guys aren't as affected.

I guess I will accept that my reasoning won't be well accepted, and I may not be helping zoom mod any by mentioning it. Again, I did EVERYTHING you guys have mentioned. Nothing prevents an animal from killing me from the top/bottom of the screen.

Maybe my problem is that my screen is very rectangular, so the distance between the top/bottom of the screen and my character may be shorter than most? I've never used a screen with different dimensions in this game, so I am unsure how it impacts the view.

On that note, don't people already have different view distances depending on the dementions of their screen? If not vertically, then definitely horizontally. If horizontal distance is the only one affected, then my horizontal view distance may be close to someone with a square screen using a small zoom mod. If vertical distances are affected as well, it could explain why I'm screwed when it comes to animals killing me from the top/bottom of the screen. Then again, I am unsure about the dimensions of your screens. Either way, now I suspect something is wrong on my end. I will experiment to pinpoint the problem.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-12 22:08:32)

#44 2018-10-13 02:53:11

xclame

To VioletLily, this is from another post but answers the last part of your post.

Obs wrote:

The game is designed to run in a 16:9 letterbox at a 1280x720 scaled resolution, so I don't think there's anything wrong with your particular setup or that it's all that much different than anyone else.  It will even attempt to draw "black bars" across the top and bottom to create this letterbox on a 4:3 aspect ratio, as you might also see in some screenshots.

About the rest of your post, you are completely right. This game we don't really compete against each other so, we aren't cheating against other players by doing, this isn't a competitive game after all. If you wanted to, you could say that we are cheating against the game and to that I say that we aren't really cheating, we are simply making the game balanced again, the game already cheats by making you able to be killed by stuff you can't control. Dying by stuff you can't control is a cheap way to add difficulty.

#45 2018-10-13 04:01:03

boggers

xclame wrote:

This game we don't really compete against each other so, we aren't cheating against other players by doing, this isn't a competitive game after all.

I would go further to say that people who aren't using zoom mod are a liability, especially in Eve camps. They wander around aimlessly, wasting time and resources and do stupid things like eating every last piece of food in a slowly expanding circle around the base, where people with zoom mod will leave the last few berries on a bush for emergencies and eat from the full bushes a few tiles further away.

#46 2018-10-13 08:15:17

VioletLily

xclame wrote:

About the rest of your post, you are completely right. This game we don't really compete against each other so, we aren't cheating against other players by doing, this isn't a competitive game after all. If you wanted to, you could say that we are cheating against the game and to that I say that we aren't really cheating, we are simply making the game balanced again, the game already cheats by making you able to be killed by stuff you can't control. Dying by stuff you can't control is a cheap way to add difficulty.

Thank you. This is what I mean. It is a way of balancing the game.

In my opinion, a good game should be difficult and challenging. The problem I have with the unmodded version of this game is that there are times when it is neither. Not because it is easy, but because some things can't be overcome with effort.

The definition of challenge is: "something needing great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully, or the situation of facing this kind of effort" (Cambridge English Dictionary)

When you have an element in a game that is completely impossible to overcome, it becomes unbalanced or broken. While the zoom mod does give some other advantages, many use it simply because they saw it as a way to balance an otherwise good game.

If Jason really doesn't want his players to use a zoom mod, he needs to balance his game. I'm not saying it's a bad game. The fact people modded their game rather than dropping it tells you that it's good. I'm just saying that the use of this mod could be heavily prevented if the reasons people have to use it are fixed. When 10% of your player base uses a specific mod it is a sign that there is something that could be done better. (Not hating on Jason. I really appreciate the effort he puts into this game)

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-13 08:31:59)

#47 2018-10-15 05:12:21

Sovietico21

xclame wrote:

To VioletLily, this is from another post but answers the last part of your post.

Obs wrote:

The game is designed to run in a 16:9 letterbox at a 1280x720 scaled resolution, so I don't think there's anything wrong with your particular setup or that it's all that much different than anyone else.  It will even attempt to draw "black bars" across the top and bottom to create this letterbox on a 4:3 aspect ratio, as you might also see in some screenshots.

Well, lets say we are playing counter-strike against bots, all humans are on the same team but you have cheats, so you end up killing all the bots by yourself and the other players cant participate in the action. So yes, you are making the game worst for the rest of the players by having an advantage.

#48 2018-10-15 05:25:14

boggers

Sovietico21 wrote:

Well, lets say we are playing counter-strike against bots, all humans are on the same team but you have cheats, so you end up killing all the bots by yourself and the other players cant participate in the action. So yes, you are making the game worst for the rest of the players by having an advantage.

The analogy does not compare well to using zoom mod in OHOL.

In OHOL you can die or your efforts be undone by the incompetence of other players.
You need competent people around you to survive.
Zoom mod makes players more competent.
You make the game worse for everyone around you by not using it.

edit: A better analogy would be if CS had set the default FOV of 30 degrees as a means to reduce network traffic. Most people are used to 90 degrees from playing other games, so someone mods CS back to 90 in a way that does not effect network traffic at all. Anyone who uses 90 simply can't go back to 30. We don't want to cheat, we want *everyone* on 90, we want the default changed, because it is unequivocally better.

Last edited by boggers (2018-10-15 05:38:17)

#49 2018-10-15 06:40:51

VioletLily

Sovietico21 wrote:
xclame wrote:

Obs wrote:

But a person using zoom mod can't do everything themselves... They do tend to be better at scouting and finding resources, but that doesn't prevent you from doing those jobs or others. There are always jobs to be done. No one is stopping you from taking part in the action.

Say you are in an early-ish camp and see that people need packs. You tell people you plan to trap rabbits and set out to do so. Now others with a zoom mod are unlikely to trap rabbits themselves as they know someone else already is. They will most likely set out to do other tasks that need to be done. Nothing they do will interfere with you trapping rabbits and making packs.

The only time I can think of where that may not be the case is when things are desperately needed, like iron in early camp. Then, it isn't uncommon for 2 or more people, with or without zoom mod to go out searching. (Whether that is the best strategy or not is debatable, but that is another discussion) A person with zoom mod may return faster, but that doesn't mean the iron you collect wasn't worth your time or effort. The camp still needs it. As long as no one died along the way, neither you nor the person using a zoom mod was a disadvantage to the camp.

I myself have never felt like a person with a zoom mod was stealing my job while playing with the default view. In my experience, people don't usually set out to do jobs that others already have covered.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-15 06:43:34)

#50 2018-10-15 07:07:40

PeaGirl

VioletLily wrote:

The only time I can think of where that may not be the case is when things are desperately needed, like iron in early camp. Then, it isn't uncommon for 2 or more people, with or without zoom mod to go out searching. (Whether that is the best strategy or not is debatable, but that is another discussion) A person with zoom mod may return faster, but that doesn't mean the iron you collect wasn't worth your time or effort. The camp still needs it. As long as no one died along the way, neither you nor the person using a zoom mod was a disadvantage to the camp.

I myself have never felt like a person with a zoom mod was stealing my job while playing with the default view. In my experience, people don't usually set out to do jobs that others already have covered.

I would understand zoom mod with berry bushes but with iron?

I only understand on this, that taking tasks from villages while having zoom mod is just plain lazy... and considering that we don't have yet updates that would give zoom mod more reason to stay afloat (considering that we are sticking to stage of cows and railroads, so waiting for Rohrer's new items that would go higher stage than that would be objected.)
Yes, it's not lazy by being efficient with zoom mod. It's lazy when you are ready to take less effort on trying to scout. Yes it's not lazy by knowing where every item is by seeing. It's lazy when you don't plan on using your memory on where everything is.

The normal view is in that fact really something we need at this stage... because we are still invulnerable. Unless some people are ready to face dementia around their 40s and plan on going with zoom mod and pretend to be naked eagle.

Besides... if you really want to know what job to do, ask your family. They cannot be that clueless as what to do... or be freelancer and bring stuff worth anything.

Edit: Why rush for end game when eventually you only notice that all your babies plan on suiciding when they notice that you have reached end game without their help.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-10-15 07:09:11)

Board footer