One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-07-05 22:58:25

BlueRock

Re: Implementation plan 3 for the curse system

Here's a little food for thought about the concept of Karma and it being involved in systems of different kinds, and the possibility for different outcomes, and effectiveness.

From what I gather, the inspiration for the Karma system comes from Reddit. Well briefly I'd like to point out something about why Reddit Karma works, and things that hold back the OHOL version of it.
For one, Reddit has active mods which have all the text of what's been said and done in front of them, and the power to actually affect what impact Karma has due to circumstance. In particular it's mentioned that Reddit uses Karma, or rather Downvotes, as a method to weed out spammers, which are easily identified and quickly banned.
OHOL on the other hand is an extremely time sensitive, and temporary state game, which has ambiguous flavors of interactions ranging from as simple and rather harmless as snatching a basket that isn't yours to go forage, to as cold hearted as murder, with no moderators aside from the Public flow of Karma and hours of gameplay to buffer.

Both systems are open for abuse, however Reddit Karma gives you a chance to explain your situation, albeit people have more open access to individual Reddit posts than your average OHOL will have access to a griefer (or non-griefer) name. Meanwhile in OHOL, you are at the mercy of potential Mobs with such a system, where the fear of digital death in an hour long game is also there. It's possible things go exactly as intended, certainly. I just think it might be like stacking a house of cards on top of a set of dominoes, either it's something new and cool to knock over, or an accident waiting to happen.

#52 2018-07-06 00:01:01

Lotus

Would blessings still occur with this plan?

Tokens would probably be more common for blessings, maybe one per hour?

#53 2018-07-06 03:39:39

Neo

Seems fairly reasonable

#54 2018-07-06 04:35:37

adrian010886

A Vote system! Here's my 2 cents to make this work. There should be a "Family Info Window" in the corner of the screen (boarder opacity should be set to low) so that you can receive updates about who in your family has just died and who in your family has been injured, example: Richard Eve was bitten by a snake!...Emma Eve was stabbed by Billy Eve!...Mary Eve has died of starvation!) The "Family Info Window" is for events only and not a chat bar.  If you attack someone within your family, the [Family Tab] itself will change to red indicating someone in your family is a murderer. The attackers name within the [Family tab] will also highlight red which can been seen by selecting the [Family Tab] at the bottom of the "Family Info Window" to open a drop down list of all your currently alive family members) The attackers name will forever be highlighted in red regardless if they run away. It is a mark of "Bad Blood". This "Bad Blood" will persist even if they happen to die and re spawn into your family again. Voting should ONLY be allowed against players with the "Bad Blood" mark and I feel that there should be a warning in the "Family Info Window" when a vote to kick has been initiated by a family member. thereafter a 30 second timer begins giving your family the chance to vote whether the player with the "Bad Blood" mark will be kicked or pardoned.

If someone can do the math for a vote calculator that would be great.

T = Timer
F = Total Family Votes
K = kick
P = Pardon

A pardon clears the player of "Bad Blood"

I feel like this is a great place to start and can help stop players from going on murder sprees within your own family as well as adding a quality of life update for your family. ( I hate wondering if little Tommy is still alive after he went searching for milkweed )

Side note;  a [Rival Tab] beside the [Family Tab] would be very helpful for when an outsider decides to attack your family. You would see the event on the "Family Info Window" (Different last name would indicate a rival: "Emma Eve was stabbed by Jhonny Sol") but it would be up to the other bloodline to kick the murderer. The [Rival Tab] would hold the name of anyone who attacked someone in your family that is not blood related making it easier to identify who's a threat.  I do agree that territory takeover by different bloodline should be a thing.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind ~ M. K. Gandhi

I hope you find this helpful, would love your feedback

Chat%20window_zps1it56wyk.jpg

If you equip a knife or bow/arrow please don't click on a family member. There is no line between accident and intent.

#55 2018-07-06 05:00:08

sc0rp

adrian010886 wrote:

[...]

This topic is about generalized griefing that cannot be detected automatically, not murder.  Murder received so many nerfs that it shoudn't be a thing now.  If it still is, please post specific scenarios.  And window like that will induce knee-jerk reaction to kick any player that killed somebody, whether warranted or not.  May as well remove knifes and bows from the game altogether.

adrian010886 wrote:

as well as adding a quality of life update for your family. ( I hate wondering if little Tommy is still alive after he went searching for milkweed )

You know, like IRL, before self-phones.

#56 2018-07-06 05:03:47

Randomname

How would cursing would work if there was more than one person with the same name?  The reason I ask is because in one of my lives all my grandkids were called Gary.  If Gary A was ebil (she wasn't) and I cursed her, would that also curse all her siblings?

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=424734

#57 2018-07-06 05:14:59

sc0rp

Randomname wrote:

How would cursing would work if there was more than one person with the same name?  The reason I ask is because in one of my lives all my grandkids were called Gary.  If Gary A was ebil (she wasn't) and I cursed her, would that also curse all her siblings?

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=424734

Current Jason's stance is that you should kill Xanthe and all her kids, 'cause she's a griefer.  But I don't like this solution.  What about accidental duplicated names - how am I supposed to know if there is no another Tom in family?

#58 2018-07-06 12:22:15

MaliaPlays

Is it possible to curse a dead person? I can see a situation where a griefer sees that the villagers are going against them and just quits the game. They then avoid being cursed.

#59 2018-07-06 13:57:00

sc0rp

MaliaPlays wrote:

Is it possible to curse a dead person? I can see a situation where a griefer sees that the villagers are going against them and just quits the game. They then avoid being cursed.

I think that plan was that you can curse somebody up to an hour after his death.

#60 2018-07-06 15:57:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I've implemented this, it will be released later today.

Some answers:

--There are no blessings in this system.

--You always have either 0 or 1 curse tokens.

--There will be a small display in the client UI that shows whether or not you have a curse token to spend.

--The only way to earn your token back, or to reduce your curse score, is to live time in the game.

--All of this is currently implemented separately per server.  There is no coordination on servers.  So you can get cursed on a server, and be born marked there, but not be marked on another server.  You also have 1 curse token per server.  But you cannot "live time" on one server to earn tokens or reduce curse scores on other servers.  It's all separate.  It might seem like this will be a boon to griefers who can just switch servers, but they still have "marked time" waiting for them when they come back to their original server.  Implementing a coordination system between servers is a lot of extra work.  Maybe someday.

--Yes, you need to know the name of the person.  If multiple people have the same name, the person who received that name last is cursed.  Name your babies unique things, people.

--You can curse someone by name up to two hours after they received their name (after they are dead).

--There is currently no limit to only cursing people in your family line.  I may add that later to permit warfare (though cursing seems pretty ineffective in true group warfare).

#61 2018-07-06 16:03:52

MaliaPlays

All you have to do as a female is name a child after yourself and then you are immune to curses, or am I reading this wrong?

#62 2018-07-06 16:04:26

TheRedBug

Cool! So if my name is sophia, ill call my child sophia and then ill be able to grief without worry!

:l

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#63 2018-07-06 16:09:50

MidgetMaker

MaliaPlays wrote:

All you have to do as a female is name a child after yourself and then you are immune to curses, or am I reading this wrong?

you are correct.

#64 2018-07-06 16:22:58

forestglade

jasonrohrer wrote:

--Yes, you need to know the name of the person.  If multiple people have the same name, the person who received that name last is cursed.

This seems bad. A griefer will just name their kids after them.

You should only be able to curse someone in your screen. So we just have to make sure their kids aren't there.
Same with dead people, their bones have to be on screen.

#65 2018-07-06 16:31:11

forestglade

You give birth, you name the child, and you let it starve in the wilderness.

Then you go and grief and that poor player takes all the curses.

#66 2018-07-06 16:39:14

MidgetMaker

forestglade wrote:

rip bb's sad

#67 2018-07-06 17:10:54

Zihil

hmm, i posted in the wrong curse thread i think. gonna repost in here. this might solve a few problems and not be too hard to implement, while keeping in the spirit of the game.

some additional ideas:

item based curses / blessings
-summonable items (cant be dropped, forces you to drop any item) that give curses / blessings (type /bless /curse for item that shoots curse/blessing),
or same "magic wand", left-click bless, right-click curse,
or "Judgement Scale" to be added to a corpse where people can add their coin for bless or curse (left-click bless, right-click curse after planted on corpse), disappears after max amount curses accepted (ie 10). Judgement scale requires a Blessed person.
or "Curse Catcher" to be added to a live person. attracts curse and bless "missles". Curse Catcher requires Cursed person.
-doesnt require naming system.

curses only work on corpses. (visual indication on cursed bones)
-incentive to stop the griefer before cursing
-makes it easier for everyone to curse the right person

thinking and editing this a few times. could be the source of pvp people are looking for. creates possible wars, doesnt require neighboring towns or different lineages. could be developed more as a system.

Last edited by Zihil (2018-07-06 17:26:27)

#68 2018-07-06 17:27:32

Turnipseed

forestglade wrote:

Please no!!!

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#69 2018-07-06 17:29:06

sc0rp

Zihil wrote:

- makes it easier for griefer to avoid curse (run away + drop dead behind tree)

#70 2018-07-06 17:38:44

Zihil

sc0rp wrote:
Zihil wrote:

you can target things behind trees

#71 2018-07-06 18:13:02

sc0rp

Zihil wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

You've missed "run away" part.  Chasing somebody is barely doable up until you get hungry.  When you need to divert to get some food, there is no way to get back on track.  Heck, you sometimes lose sight of your mother, that does not want run away from you at all.

#72 2018-07-06 18:44:04

Zihil

sc0rp wrote:
Zihil wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

You've missed "run away" part.  Chasing somebody is barely doable up until you get hungry.  When you need to divert to get some food, there is no way to get back on track.  Heck, you sometimes lose sight of your mother, that does not want run away from you at all.

murderers run slow

#73 2018-07-06 18:50:14

Gederian

Not a huge fan of this cursing thing. Now a griefer can grief me into the next life too? Fuck... I thought lives were supposed to be unique. Mass murder one hour then The Pope the next. Plus the superstition of curses will seem dumb when we are able to make atomic blasters.

I would much rather see a points system based on crafting accomplishments like, you water 10 plants and get one good will point that's visible to everyone. If a fight I have with someone stealing my hammer gets me cursed in other lives, so should the fact that I just made a complete set of tools.

#74 2018-07-06 18:53:57

Gederian

Also, why make the curse by name? Make an object you must craft and use on the person/grave.

#75 2018-07-06 19:13:59

DJDisorder

Totally would have just cursed the moron taking flat stones for graveyard, as we were fugging smithing!?!

Board footer