One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-06-01 14:33:28

YAHG

Re: Check if these numbers make sense

Kinrany wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Kinrany, not sure your math is right on the refill times.

Deep well contains 20 buckets of water, and refills one bucket ever 30 minutes.  It refills completely in 10 hours.

Refill Rates:

Pond and shallow well, 2 water per hour.
Deep well, 20 water per hour

Oh, so deep wells measure water in buckets, like cisterns, all right.
Makes shallow wells even less useful, since one deep well is better than ten shallow wells tongue

A term that might be useful: bootstrap technology -- tech that is only useful in the brief period of time when a better version is already available, but has higher overhead cost.
If you want to cut down a tree and you have stones, you could cut off a long, thick branch and make a big axe, or you could cut off a short branch, make a small axe, then use it to make the big axe faster. Then you throw away the small axe, because the big one is just better at everything.

Oh, and I found this: wiki.c2.com/?BootstrapTechnology
(Not the category I described above, but close and otherwise relevant to OHOL)

Sorta like the stoned hoe, she just eats all your snacks and then bangs your best buddy before break when you make her do something useful..

Tha'ts why steel hoes are for life.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#52 2018-06-04 00:10:12

Glassius

Re: Check if these numbers make sense

Just to close the phantom topic: Jason established his own way of water management and confirmed, there will be no area effects ever.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 885#p15885

So, I decided to make a workaround for game lore smile This topic is important to me, because IRL I made with my father 7 meters deep well, with shovels, buckets, lines etc. And we made it on swamp (water table usually 1 meter below ground). Father hoped to reach underground waterflow levels, but we had to go trough waterproof clay. My father did not listen to me (I was skeptical), yet still I had to obey him. So we wasted 2 months to create rain storage smile Good for garden, but not enough for house. As usual, I was right, but nobody listens smile

IRL, swamps are naturally created when water cannot leave certain area, like river delta or place with waterproof ground levels, so water cannot flow into ground. The main source of water in swamps is rain. Therefore, swamps are very bad at replenishing water: they just store it. Once dried, swamp will refill very slowly. This is why swamps and swamp ponds are very bad places for wells.

However, we did not see any rain in the game. Maybe transpiration is not strong enough, especially without rivers and seas, to create rain? But ponds are replenishing water and are the only place possible to build wells. This means, ponds in OHOL are springs! The only places in the world, where water can flow from the underground, create pond and even spread around creating ponds. And wells, which are basically holes with less filter levels, can replenish water even faster.

But Glassius, why can't we build well immediately? The answer is: did you try to dig in water? You have firstly to remove all water, in order to dig deeper. Now the order make sense -> dry the pond -> build a shallow well -> dry the shallow  -> build a deep well

This is the only solution and I would be glad if Jason confirms smile But what does it mean for us?
1. Very poor worldwide evaporation means, there are no rivers nor seas. Sad, but lore consistent.
2. There will be no area effects. Everything will be always handcrafted, even using machines. No aqueducts, production lines etc
3. The next tech level would be something to reach even deeper in the ground. So, maybe water pumping windmills, as the final construction? No engine pumps, which require fuel.
13-water-pump-windmill-werner-lehmann.jpg?&targetx=0&targety=-25&imagewidth=500&imageheight=750&modelwidth=500&modelheight=700&backgroundcolor=8FA6BF&orientation=1

Board footer