One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-05-30 06:46:25

sc0rp

Re: New Players Are Getting Left Behind

FounderOne wrote:

I started teaching smithing but unfortunately died of old age in the process.

Oh, that was probably me. I've even thank you in separate thread:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1847

Still didn't manage to make this cart - died at 60 while making saw.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-05-30 06:48:17)

#27 2018-05-30 06:52:49

sc0rp

FounderOne wrote:

Real Griefer are weird people that need to compensate something and we always need to force. Maybe the speed of killing should be even more reduced.

I'm in favour of some karma system, so that griefers are most likely to spawn to other griefers, so they have fun playing PvP among themselves:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 560#p15560

#28 2018-05-30 11:53:39

Tane

Trick wrote:

The nerfs have broken this game, and has made the game hostile to newcomers.

+1

#29 2018-05-30 19:38:03

FounderOne

sc0rp wrote:
FounderOne wrote:

I started teaching smithing but unfortunately died of old age in the process.

Oh, that was probably me. I've even thank you in separate thread:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1847

Still didn't manage to make this cart - died at 60 while making saw.

This was someone else. The Plan was to make a shovel tongue

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#30 2018-05-31 02:01:41

Go! Bwah!

Trick wrote:

the game requires you to read a damn novella to figure out how to play

Don't forget that the novella is being heavily edited, so by the time you've finished reading it 10% of it has changed and you have to go reread those parts and reintegrate them with the parts that haven't changed.  And repeat.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#31 2018-05-31 02:03:58

Eclipciz

FounderOne wrote:

It is true that the atmosphäre shifted from warming to hurry hurry.
The game is harder, but you can still provide in one life more then you need. If all followed this path we would only need to worry about griefer and could teach more. If we teach more there is less struggle with unexpirienced players and more time to breath.

But there are baby machines that spit out and rais every baby they get. There are people just eating all day long and there are people role playing 24/7 providing nothing. Maybe all of them not knowing better.

The key thing for a long life is to keep a good balance between food and kids. And that's also a thing to learn.

Yesterday I was the son of an eve. We set up a good camp. Got food production going. Everything looked good. I could provide in my lifetime a Smith and tools. When I came back from the Iron search I found a massiv overpopulated settlement and all were starving so I ran out and collected some food. Only 3 or 4 people managed to survive. One of them was a women unfortunately she only had baby boys. So there were 6-8 boys running around, all providing more then we needed and look there we could all stay just around and talk without worries. I started teaching smithing but unfortunately died of old age in the process.
It is possible with expirienced people that provide more then they need to have a nice, relaxed and warm atmosphere.

So guys get out teach for a while bring the new joined players on a good level and provide more then you need and then we shift back to the state that we want. Sure there is still the griefer problem, but I think it is in a better state then before apocalypse. Back then you could just murder a whole town In 30 seconds. Now there is more time to react to this thread.

Real Griefer are weird people that need to compensate something and we always need to force. Maybe the speed of killing should be even more reduced.

This post lights a fire in my head. You complain about overpopulation and people aren't productive. How do you suppose to get rid of them? To teach them? Ok sure, but you can't as YOU have to worry about your food bar.

The speed of killing should be reduced? When the only way to stop those recourse sponges is to kill them? Ok.. that makes no sense.

Last edited by Eclipciz (2018-05-31 02:06:57)

Ethical Killing
One Step One Life
One At A Time

#32 2018-05-31 02:43:55

Lily

There is definitely a physiological urge to rush all the time in this game. However, I do think there is enough time to stop and teach people or just talk. What you need is to either be on a fire with a basket of food near by, or be fully clothed with a backpack of food. In that case you can stop and talk for a long time without much problems. If you can't do that, then there is a rush because you constantly have to stop mid sentence to go get more food.

#33 2018-05-31 03:02:58

sc0rp

Lily wrote:

or be fully clothed with a backpack of food

That's a joke, right?  Since recent nerfs (decay+milkweed) that's very rare image. I can have backpack or two as Eve. In towns it takes half a lifetime to make one.

#34 2018-05-31 03:18:44

breezeknight

FounderOne wrote:

But there are baby machines that spit out and rais every baby they get. There are people just eating all day long and there are people role playing 24/7 providing nothing. Maybe all of them not knowing better.

i once was in a town where someone was roleplaying doing nothing for the settlement or future generations, that person got killed then
that was not the worst case of a killing, lol

- - -

also
i have one question

are all those new players paying the 20 bucks to play & just waste it on dying ?

#35 2018-05-31 07:39:33

FounderOne

Eclipciz wrote:
FounderOne wrote:

It is true that the atmosphäre shifted from warming to hurry hurry.
The game is harder, but you can still provide in one life more then you need. If all followed this path we would only need to worry about griefer and could teach more. If we teach more there is less struggle with unexpirienced players and more time to breath.

The key thing for a long life is to keep a good balance between food and kids. And that's also a thing to learn.

Yesterday I was the son of an eve. We set up a good camp. Got food production going. Everything looked good. I could provide in my lifetime a Smith and tools. When I came back from the Iron search I found a massiv overpopulated settlement and all were starving so I ran out and collected some food. Only 3 or 4 people managed to survive. One of them was a women unfortunately she only had baby boys. So there were 6-8 boys running around, all providing more then we needed and look there we could all stay just around and talk without worries. I started teaching smithing but unfortunately died of old age in the process.
It is possible with expirienced people that provide more then they need to have a nice, relaxed and warm atmosphere.

So guys get out teach for a while bring the new joined players on a good level and provide more then you need and then we shift back to the state that we want. Sure there is still the griefer problem, but I think it is in a better state then before apocalypse. Back then you could just murder a whole town In 30 seconds. Now there is more time to react to this thread.

This post lights a fire in my head. You complain about overpopulation and people aren't productive. How do you suppose to get rid of them? To teach them? Ok sure, but you can't as YOU have to worry about your food bar.

The speed of killing should be reduced? When the only way to stop those recourse sponges is to kill them? Ok.. that makes no sense.

Idk why it lights a fire in your head. I play since the beginning. I don't have struggle keeping my hunger bar up. While others starve in masses in the town at the same time. I see already before what will happen, so preventive I go out and eat far away from the city. And gather stuff from far away like seeds, cactus fruits for the few that will remain the starving process.

If you stay in the right temp as a elder you got no struggle. So teaching shouldn't be done in an ice biome naked... Maybe that's the trick, you should give it a try!

And sure there are people not caring and consuming more then they provide, but most of them don't know it better. If they got the right information, then they can make the right decisions. But if no one teaches them, they will stop playing, be a burden or the smallest part will advance by their self.

Someone said that killing is to easy. And actually it is easy, but not really common and much better then before, so a slight increase in the cool down time would help since the murder age span without starving gets smaller and there will be more time to react.

Just think about what you do with killing the "Ressource sponges". New Player, spawns in an city, you come and stab him, new player spawns as an eve and starves. Well not all people can handle this good and keep going. A lot will stop playing.

But it seems more that you are one of those steady killers and that seems like the real reason your head is on fire.

#36 2018-05-31 12:16:57

Twig

FounderOne wrote:

You are 100% correct, the biggest killer in civs today isn't griefers (although majority of people in the forum will disagree). It's overpopulation, one fertile female on average spits out 7 kids, and way to many mothers keep 100% of their kids. See it all the time, an eve who hasn't even begun getting even the tools crafted to make a fire (stone axe, fire bow drill etc.) has 4 children running around eating everything in sight. When I'm born I have a quick look at the current situation of my family and if I think myself being alive is going to over populate, I go snake hugging.

I think bringing down the birth rate of one female is a must, it's been common knowledge for sometime now that population control is one of the most important factors in the game, yet I still see babies being churned out by mothers who don't know how to say no, so I think the only way to limit this is to bring down birth rates per woman, or start the birthing cycle slightly later I don't know.

I will abandon my kids and some random cousin or something will feed them, I explain to them why I was killing the child (usually lack of food, or way to many babies) and they completely snob it off and go "hello bb, ily so much"

Actually today I had a mum I was born into say "OMG more! you're the seventh one" and literally had kids running around her spamming "F", it was chaotic.. but I found a friendly snake to ease me of my upbringing.

#37 2018-05-31 12:31:07

sc0rp

Twig wrote:

You are 100% correct, the biggest killer in civs today isn't griefers (although majority of people in the forum will disagree). It's overpopulation, one fertile female on average spits out 7 kids, and way to many mothers keep 100% of their kids. See it all the time, an eve who hasn't even begun getting even the tools crafted to make a fire (stone axe, fire bow drill etc.) has 4 children running around eating everything in sight. When I'm born I have a quick look at the current situation of my family and if I think myself being alive is going to over populate, I go snake hugging.

Actually I think it's very good situation to be born into.  Especially as as girl.  What I do is grab a basket with carrot as soon as I can and run off 1 or 2 biomes away.  I chill out near berry bushes for couple of minutes and then go back.  Overpopulation problem is already solved via natural means.  And few people that are still alive are all experienced players.  You can have super cool game from then on.  Sometimes you even take smithing lessons in Eve's camp!

Once in a while I have even one or two more people chilling out around the same bushes.  So you can have a chat and it's not boring while you wait for overpopulation problem to solve itself.

#38 2018-05-31 12:36:38

Twig

sc0rp wrote:

Actually I think it's very good situation to be born into.  Especially as as girl.  What I do is grab a basket with carrot as soon as I can and run off 1 or 2 biomes away.  I chill out near berry bushes for couple of minutes and then go back.  Overpopulation problem is already solved via natural means.  And few people that are still alive are all experienced players.  You can have super cool game from then on.  Sometimes you even take smithing lessons in Eve's camp!

Once in a while I have even one or two more people chilling out around the same bushes.  So you can have a chat and it's not boring while you wait for overpopulation problem to solve itself.

You make a good point.

#39 2018-05-31 14:54:54

FounderOne

Twig wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

You make a good point.

Yes, this is most of the times the best time in town.

#40 2018-05-31 16:47:56

Lily

Overpopulation isn't really the issue, rather it is people not working together. A single person can easily feed four other people. So if you have a quarter of your population working on food production, you will be fine. As long as you keep expanding your food production, and keep putting more people towards it, your population can continue to grow.

The problem is when people don't plan for their children, or make big mistakes because they are new(or griefing on purpose), or too many people are goofing off. If you are doing pure food production, you can easily feed everyone else but if you have to stop to make a plow, or make a knife to cut up sheep or something, that will slow you down greatly.

Board footer