One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-30 20:36:08

Chard

Re: Tule Decay?

jasonrohrer wrote:

But in real life, since you don't spend your time making baskets, you spend your time watching Netflix.

So... I should go make baskets?

#27 2018-04-30 20:49:09

Drakulon

jasonrohrer wrote:

The problem that I'm facing is that high tech life is boring.

So if I give you "higher tech" that lets you make 10x baskets from the same amount of tule, baskets become worthless and sorta fall out of the economy.

Unless we need much more baskets to enable other high tech solutions.
This a stupid example, but lets assume you add trains in the future, and you could put your baskets on a train.
In order to build trains you need alot of iron so you need alot of baskets to transport that iron in order to make more trains to transport more iron?

#28 2018-04-30 20:55:11

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Chard wrote:

Yes, you should!

#29 2018-04-30 21:12:15

Chard

jasonrohrer wrote:
Chard wrote:

Yes, you should!

All the basket making tutorials I can find seem to be about paper baskets. Will that work okay?

#30 2018-04-30 21:59:23

Go! Bwah!

Chard wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:
Chard wrote:

Yes, you should!

All the basket making tutorials I can find seem to be about paper baskets. Will that work okay?

Yesterday I made a letter tray out of a cardboard Amazon box because I didn't want to use the plastic.  It was pretty satisfying feeling the tabs pop into the slots.

Constructing from paper is awesome.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#31 2018-05-01 05:06:16

Potjeh

jasonrohrer wrote:

That is why everyone in real life is depressed.

For the most part, high tech life is focused on entertainment.  Playing OHOL 10 hours a day, for example.

Anything that becomes infinite becomes something that you no longer need to think or make decisions about.  Just make more of it.  Endlessly.

So if I give you "higher tech" that lets you make 10x baskets from the same amount of tule, baskets become worthless and sorta fall out of the economy.

This is true in real life, of course, where no one uses baskets but instead uses "free" disposable plastic bags to carry stuff.

But in real life, since you don't spend your time making baskets, you spend your time watching Netflix.

I'm never going to have Netflix in the game...

Also, the struggle is still there in modern life, we're just ignoring it for a while.  The materials used to make disposable plastic bags do run out over the long haul.

Well yeah, I can understand game balance reasons for not letting us increase our productivity exponentially, like tech works in real life. But I see no rhyme or reason in *decreasing* productivity. Like, everything at higher tech takes more steps to do and tries to integrate all the different production chains. Both of those increase time it takes to do anything. IDK what resource you're balancing the game around currently, but it should be time as time is *the* base resource in all crafting games, and it's exponentially more important in a time limited game like OHOL.

I mean, just look at soil. Early game you grab a basket and go to your nearby pit, and you make four fields in as many minutes. Later on, when you're doing compost, you need to find a bowl of berries which takes like ten minutes because kids will *always* take berries from domestic bushes, then you need straw which is god knows where because all the wild wheat has been used for baskets, then you repeat the whole berry quest to feed sheep and hope to RNJesus that they actually poop. Between all those hard steps and a whole bunch of regular small steps, getting four soil via composting takes at least ten times longer than getting it from a pit. Now, my point is that getting soil should require the same effort at all levels, it's only the methods that should change as the tech advances. If I were balancing the game, I'd handle the whole soil thing by making compost much easier (just reeds and bowl of berries, alternate recipe just straw and sheep poop), but increasing the soil consumption by making carrots consume soil regardless when they're picked. It'd decrease the carrot farming repetitiveness too.

#32 2018-05-01 13:40:09

breezeknight

does anybody know for sure how the wild carrot seeds spawn now ?

or is there somewhere a regular info how the wild ressources are atm respawning ?

is digging up wild carrots griefing or is the code already nerfed to a point where it is actually griefed as the game itself ?

cause if this game is coded the way that wild carrots spawn just one seed now, then the next step would be to let everything spawn just once, milkweed, berry bushes, cacti, trees, reed & so on
just let everything spawn once, let decay the source & then only an apocalypse can save the OHOL world because all land is baren

or is the objective of the game to waste the time of players guessing what spawns how often ?

#33 2018-05-01 15:37:13

Lily

According to this website: https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#404/Wild-Carrot , which has always been accurate as far as I can tell, carrot seeds don't respawn once picked. So if that is the case, as long as you pick the seed before digging it up, you are not doing any harm.

#34 2018-05-01 16:28:37

breezeknight

Lily wrote:

According to this website: https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#404/Wild-Carrot , which has always been accurate as far as I can tell, carrot seeds don't respawn once picked. So if that is the case, as long as you pick the seed before digging it up, you are not doing any harm.

where does it say anything about the respawn rate ?

#35 2018-05-01 17:17:17

Lily

breezeknight wrote:
Lily wrote:

It doesn't, which suggests it doesn't respawn.

So for example, this one: https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#7 … rel-Cactus , shows an empty cactus plus 5 minutes give a flowering cactus, and a flowering cactus plus 5 minutes give fruit. So you would expect to see wild carrot without seed plus X minutes gives wild carrot with seed. Since it doesn't that suggest it never respawns. It could be an oversight, but most of the items there are pretty accurate and update to date, so since it doesn't give a respawn time for seeds, I don't think they respawn.

#36 2018-05-01 18:23:29

breezeknight

Lily wrote:
breezeknight wrote:
Lily wrote:

It doesn't, which suggests it doesn't respawn.

So for example, this one: https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#7 … rel-Cactus , shows an empty cactus plus 5 minutes give a flowering cactus, and a flowering cactus plus 5 minutes give fruit. So you would expect to see wild carrot without seed plus X minutes gives wild carrot with seed. Since it doesn't that suggest it never respawns. It could be an oversight, but most of the items there are pretty accurate and update to date, so since it doesn't give a respawn time for seeds, I don't think they respawn.

you're right, thanks

this game gets slowly beyond melancholic, it just gets depressing

#37 2018-05-01 18:35:58

breezeknight

@Potjeh

Potjeh wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

For the most part, high tech life is focused on entertainment.  Playing OHOL 10 hours a day, for example.

Anything that becomes infinite becomes something that you no longer need to think or make decisions about.  Just make more of it.  Endlessly.

This is true in real life, of course, where no one uses baskets but instead uses "free" disposable plastic bags to carry stuff.

Also, the struggle is still there in modern life, we're just ignoring it for a while.  The materials used to make disposable plastic bags do run out over the long haul.

Well yeah, I can understand game balance reasons for not letting us increase our productivity exponentially, like tech works in real life. But I see no rhyme or reason in *decreasing* productivity. Like, everything at higher tech takes more steps to do and tries to integrate all the different production chains. Both of those increase time it takes to do anything. IDK what resource you're balancing the game around currently, but it should be time as time is *the* base resource in all crafting games, and it's exponentially more important in a time limited game like OHOL.

I mean, just look at soil. Early game you grab a basket and go to your nearby pit, and you make four fields in as many minutes. Later on, when you're doing compost, you need to find a bowl of berries which takes like ten minutes because kids will *always* take berries from domestic bushes, then you need straw which is god knows where because all the wild wheat has been used for baskets, then you repeat the whole berry quest to feed sheep and hope to RNJesus that they actually poop. Between all those hard steps and a whole bunch of regular small steps, getting four soil via composting takes at least ten times longer than getting it from a pit. Now, my point is that getting soil should require the same effort at all levels, it's only the methods that should change as the tech advances. If I were balancing the game, I'd handle the whole soil thing by making compost much easier (just reeds and bowl of berries, alternate recipe just straw and sheep poop), but increasing the soil consumption by making carrots consume soil regardless when they're picked. It'd decrease the carrot farming repetitiveness too.

you're right

#38 2018-05-01 21:27:33

Kinrany

jasonrohrer wrote:

I disagree that high tech life is boring, in any sense I can think of. Unless you mean boring to observe, not live: watching Netflix, playing games and solving useless abstract math problems is fun, while watching someone do that usually isn't.

Like, I'm lucky to live in a relatively safe place on Earth and to be able to throw money at all the most common problems that I don't want to solve myself. And I still wish I was born a couple centuries later, in a post-scarcity society, and I'm pretty sure it's a true preference and not a wish that would go horribly right.

I don't know if entertainment has any effect on civilization, besides wasting resources and sometimes accidentally inventing new things, but it's clearly something humans do all the time, no matter their tech level.

Board footer