One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-04-23 01:34:31

JS

Re: Weird meta-idea: stuck in a life for an hour

Prison ideas will be your favorite and enthusiastic grippers.

The grippers will become mothers, arrest the babies, and abuse them. Babies who are forced into custody will become another gripper.

When ordinary users are forced into detention, it goes beyond the level of seriously hindering the fun of the game.
Murder is immediate.
It is convincing if only killers are sent to prison.

There are interesting difficult challenges, and there is a waste of valuable time.
Who would want the Prince of Persia to climb a cliff that can never jump?

Immediately after someone commits a murder, people who are 1-2 minutes away will get a trial note, information about the murderer and the victim will be released, options for punishment and forgiveness will emerge, jurors will be able to make a judgment, will be.

I do not know if you are going to make the game hardcore, or you want to get rid of all but a few users.

#52 2018-04-23 01:38:43

D-Tos

I, have concerns. I'm new here so I definitely haven't encountered a whole lot of the problem this thread is trying to fix, but most of the solutions sound, rather extreme.

The problem with any punishment system added to the game, is that it must be one of two things. Either an automatic system that monitors everything and just knows when to dish out punishment, or something controlled entirely by other players. Being that I have very limited knowledge of programming, I can't say anything for certain, but I have a feeling option one would be incredibly difficult, if not impossible. On top of the difficulty of implementing, it carries the additional problems of having no human oversight. A new player accidentally does something to trigger it without knowing any better? Too bad! Punish! The problems with that fact are further extended, by the fact that it would be a system punishing players for doing things that are intentionally built into the game. Essentially, if there is a system to punish me for stabbing too many people, why am I able to stab them at all?

The player controlled option, is arguably worse. And I think deep down everyone already knows why. Anything added to allow "Good" players to punish "Bad" players, is not going to be capable of telling one from the other. You would simply be giving the players who want to just make trouble a new, more powerful, tool.

Onward to the more specific suggestions!

Player imprisonment. While this definitely has merit and highly advanced civilizations could potentially use it to great roleplay potential, consider this. I payed twenty dollars for this game. I imagine everyone else also paid for it. Including the people just trying to cause trouble. If I spawned into a village that was somehow able to sustain itself well enough to support a prison, but the villagers decided they didn't like me and threw me in jail for an hour, and I was prevented from dying or respawning elsewhere, well, I would be rather upset. I have very limited time in my day to enjoy games, and having that time taken away from me at the whim of another player, for up to an hour, would be unacceptable. I would be forced to quit for the day and find something else to occupy my time. If it happened regularly? I'd eventually quit playing entirely. Yeah, that'd be an effective way to get rid of so called griefers, but what about new players who just made a mistake, or regular players who spawned in the wrong town? Or simply as the wrong gender in some places? Not to mention does everyone who quits because the other players decided they shouldn't be allowed to play get a refund?

Temp bans... Honestly this is just the previous problem all over again. Actions programmed into the game should not be grounds for any form of ban, nor should other players have the power to ban someone for any reason, simply because of the inherent inevitable abuse.

Banishment. Once again the problem here returns to the new players who are just trying to learn. They're going to screw up and probably ruin a town now and again. And people are going to be upset. However, banishing a new player who doesn't even know how to farm properly to live alone in the wild for an hour, or worse yet have to complete some complex task, is only going to lead to less new players staying in the game. When I spawn as an Eve I suicide ninety percent of the time, because I know I don't know enough to accomplish anything that way yet. I need the established settlements to learn. If I'm kicked out on my own, banishment enforced by the spawn system itself, I can learn nothing, and not only will I do no better the next time I join a town, I may be angry enough to do worse intentionally. Basically, this is a solution that creates it's own problem.

Essentially for me it all boils down to one thing. If a system is built into the game, it's meant to be used. Punishing players for playing the game as it is designed is not a solution. If we aren't supposed to do certain things, make those things impossible, or at least more difficult, to do. Don't punish the player for playing. If removing the ability to "Grief" isn't an acceptable solution, then make it harder. Give the other players more ways to defend themselves within the scope of the game itself. As someone mentioned elsewhere, add HP or let people club each other with sticks. Let players defend themselves, punish their criminals in their own ways, but enforcing punishments that accomplish their goal only by making the game less fun can only make things worse. Especially if the power is given to the players or a bit of code that can't interpret circumstances, because that just becomes another tool for ruining everyone's day.

#53 2018-04-23 05:26:27

YAHG

Lily wrote:

I don't think it is really a problem. A griefer isn't going to sit there feeding you. In fact, if you get caught as a griefer, they would probably leave you to starve also.

Amen, we are already starving, there is no extras for criminals.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#54 2018-04-23 05:33:33

kubassa
Banned

Please NO.

You first need to define what a griefer is because that is totally SUBJECTIVE. What one thinks is griefing someone else may not. Killing a griefer or multiple griefers is that going to class you as a griefer?

Just a bad idea and after your decay update if this is the direction of the game I can't see it being at all entertaining for anyone.

I got huge ballz.

#55 2018-04-23 12:17:06

Potjeh

D-Tos wrote:

Banishment. Once again the problem here returns to the new players who are just trying to learn. They're going to screw up and probably ruin a town now and again. And people are going to be upset. However, banishing a new player who doesn't even know how to farm properly to live alone in the wild for an hour, or worse yet have to complete some complex task, is only going to lead to less new players staying in the game. When I spawn as an Eve I suicide ninety percent of the time, because I know I don't know enough to accomplish anything that way yet. I need the established settlements to learn. If I'm kicked out on my own, banishment enforced by the spawn system itself, I can learn nothing, and not only will I do no better the next time I join a town, I may be angry enough to do worse intentionally. Basically, this is a solution that creates it's own problem.

Lolwut? Playing all by yourself is the easiest way to learn. How do you think the rest of us did it? It's basic etiquette, if you spawn into a town and you don't know how to be useful, you either find somebody willing to teach you or if you can't you strike out in the wilderness and survive on berries while trying to learn stuff. Staying in town and eating their carrots while you can't make an actual contribution just makes you a parasite.

#56 2018-04-23 20:30:08

D-Tos

Potjeh wrote:

Lolwut? Playing all by yourself is the easiest way to learn. How do you think the rest of us did it? It's basic etiquette, if you spawn into a town and you don't know how to be useful, you either find somebody willing to teach you or if you can't you strike out in the wilderness and survive on berries while trying to learn stuff. Staying in town and eating their carrots while you can't make an actual contribution just makes you a parasite.

Playing as Eve all I can reasonably expect to learn is how to get a farm started up and not kill off all my babies. I already know how to do that, for the most part. I've lived several successful lives in an early settlement, maybe not as an Eve, but often as a first child. I cannot however, learn the things that require an established food source that I don't have to focus all my time on, or the things that can only reasonably be expected in a third or fourth generation, as an Eve.

And honestly I expect most players learned mostly by watching or being taught by better players. Or Youtube. I doubt very many learned to forge by striking out alone.

~

Unrelated to that reply, I realized during work today that I didn't really offer anything to help with new ideas, just kinda cut down the existing ones. So, I spent some time thinking.

As I've already made clear, I don't think it right to have a system that automatically punishes players who might have just made a mistake, or allow other players to potentially abuse a controlled system to hurt others. To me, any system to punish bad behavior needs to work independently of the gameplay itself or it just becomes another weapon to abuse. Punishing a player in the next life, for something done in this life, feels to me as if it goes against the rest of the game's style. Live a life, die, live a new life.

Minor skippable rant: I first heard the term Griefer in a roleplaying game I used to enjoy. It didn't refer to players who were just out to cause trouble and troll everyone the way it does now. Griefing was actually defined as the act of taking out your grief (Hence the name) from a previous life, in this life. To use an analogy relating to this game, say your village is low on food, just a few carrots left to feed several players. There's another crop coming, but it's going to be a little while, not soon enough to keep you alive without eating NOW. As you approach the food storage, you see a player taking the carrots, and stuffing them all into her backpack. You starve, watching her stand there with a backpack full of carrots, "LOL"ing. Moments later, you find yourself reborn as that same player's child. The crop has come in, and she raises you. But you remember, it's her fault you died in the first place. So, as soon as you're old enough, you grab the local knife, and kill her. Now, as I've seen in comments, the female player would be considered the griefer, and you dished out just punishment. But, as I learned the term years ago, YOU are the griefer, taking out anger from a previous life in this one.

/rant

So, a punishment system, I feel, shouldn't transcend the simple rule of each life is unique. What I came up with earlier though, would be to simply add a way to "Report" misbehaving players. Maybe just right clicking with an empty hand brings up a popup that allows you to report them. A report on it's own, does nothing. If it did, it'd be instantly abusable. However, if someone racks up a significant number of reports in a relatively short time, it becomes clear that people don't appreciate whatever it is they're doing. So, with a reporting system in place, simply dedicate a single server to only take in reported players. Add some form of timer to each report, so that the player is eventually allowed to return to the normal servers, but while they have an excessive report count, they're stuck on a server populated only by others like them. I'm told it's possible to set up your client to only connect to specific servers as well, so who knows, maybe they'll enjoy playing on the "Hell" server so much more that they just stay there. Either way, they're out of everyone else's hair for awhile. Longer than a single punishment life or a ban, Yet still able to enjoy the game they paid to play in the first place. Yeah, they won't be made miserable for awhile so maybe people who want them to suffer won't be satisfied, but it keeps the main servers relatively peaceful while still allowing everyone to play as much as they want, however they want, within the confines of the game's inherent design. Because really, who here has the right to decide someone else needs to suffer? Just separate them out, and move on with your day.

I do still feel that giving "Good" players more ways to fight back is a better solution though. Yeah, the above system works well for extremes, but in most cases simply making it harder for one person to screw over all the rest should do the trick. Simply making it harder to accidentally ruin everything will make it harder to do it intentionally. More/easier weapons, armor that makes it harder to kill you, and maybe a few changes to things that aren't directly player controlled. I was in one town once that failed because someone let a sheep loose and it got into the carrot field. Intentional or not? I don't know. But apparently the only way to get a sheep away from the farm is to kill it, which can only be done with a knife, which apparently is difficult to make in the first place, and someone can easily just hide it somewhere?

#57 2018-04-24 22:53:00

Potjeh

If you're banished you won't be having any babies, so there's all the time in the world to experiment. Heck, you could easily survive without ever making a farm.

Board footer