One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2024-01-11 08:33:07

Spoonwood

Re: Baby cooldown/limit please? Baby boom to much for both veteran and new

Strilar wrote:

Players keep having way too many babies, and very close to each other with no cooldown at all, not only that but lives with eight or maybe more babies are not uncommon (i've had many of those already) and you can see many of these problems in one of Twisted recent videos here

I see that Twisted's big sister was Mary Ghost.  Doing a search for 'Mary Ghost' on the family tree, Twisted could only have been Toba Ghost: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=9588438  (he also calls his boy Stearl later).  Ignoring the /die babies, Twisted only had 3 children!  Eve Ghost only had 4 children also!  Also, all four children of Eve Ghost had 4 or less children (ignoring /die babies).  Twisted's sister only had two relevant children: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=9588438  I haven't checked all of that family tree, but if they exist, where are the relevant mothers with "too many babies"?

That family also makes for an extremely clear case of resettlement.  Probably some other Eves did not resettle (or maybe they did... finding a fresh spot can be difficult upon server restart last I knew).  The fertility from mid level temperature and yum boosts in the queue position (if still active, which I think they are), imply that the babies would tend to go straight to the Ginger families instead of to more naked families with less variety of food around also.  Also, experienced players who would rather play Ginger than other families, and such players are not that difficult to find, I think.  Of course, if the game tilts towards one family having more relevant abilities long-term, certain experienced players will go there more often and thus "too many people" (but is it too many babies?) seems likely.

Twisted does comment about his exhaustion.  But, is that from feeding all THREE of his children?  I doubt it.  From what I can tell from the video before he comments about his exhaustion he feeds someone named Ador Winter: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=9588420 

Thus, I reject the premise that him having too babies lead to his exhaustion.  Instead Twisted

1. Stepped into the position of *the town's* (not the family's!) wet nurse for a little bit.

2. Fed at least one child from another family.

The nursery is all sorts of cluttered with bones, and the sounds from babies popping out also can be triggering.  That combined with the kindness of a "I'll feed all those babies" can be exhausting.

Instead of a "too many baby" problem, I see the old clutter problem, both families deciding to resettle in the same town exacerbating that clutter problem, and they had a well built nursery for temperature purposes, OR how /die babies feel exhausting to players like Twisted sometimes.

Also, with respect to 2. above, players are supposed to prefer their own children ahead of any other children.  From one point of view, there is little to no responsibility if you're a ginger Mary Ghost to feed some ginger Ador Winter.

Strilar wrote:

"babies make teaching so hard"

If you're going around becoming the town's wet nurse or feeding children from other families, sure, teaching will become so hard.  But, teaching doesn't work by trying to save everyone.  It happens by taking the time to talk to one or a few people.

There may still be something to your claim Strilar.  I remember BlahWizard commenting about how things suddenly got much harder when the players not checking a custom server started splitting to server1 several days, and on the last emoting "this game is impossible!"  However, you need a lot more *well-organized and publicly accessible* data to support your case.  And any solutions may lead to other issues.

I can reference some recent family trees like this.  One where Rina was Eve and I was her daughter, and we settled in an area with some grey berry bushes (and, of course, no nursery):

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … d=10047358

But in that case, the family made it all the way from server split period to the merge period!  The family was successful!  If families had a consistent measure of success might players feel a little more willing to step up and embrace more challenges?

Edit: I was Bonalyn in the last link.  I had eight non /die children.  Three of them lived to 60!  Kenny died, but I remember one of my children just standing in a spot, and my motto, when I feel it necessary to say so is "FOLLOW OR DIE", because if the baby isn't going to follow as much as they can, there may not be time to run back and feed them.  So, maybe Kenny was afk after shortly logging in.  But, yea, if you want to say so, I killed Kenny (had no idea that I had named that kid Kenny until making this comment).

But, sure, maybe that life shouldn't have been so rough.  Or maybe it should have.  It's rather hard to tell on this one.  But, I do feel that life did push the edge.  And maybe only because I'm experienced enough and use YumLife mod, I managed to handle it.

Edit: BlahWizard's comment "this game is impossible!" happened when she was playing in Yearby family: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … d=10062527  Their town (which had another family help start it) started getting built about an hour and a half before the split, I think.  I find it hard to remark accurately on that "this game is impossible!" comment, because there's a drastic difference between playing with a few people joining who are watching a stream or otherwise deliberately joining s1 as a custom server, and then in the course of a few minutes incoming players not checking a custom server coming in as babies.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2024-01-11 13:25:52)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer