One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-11-06 17:27:31

Eve Troll

Re: Race Restirctions Seem Like They are Against Multiplayer Survival

Laggy wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

There are many who read these forms just to see the antics spoon gets up to.

What a sad existence that must be.

You should know that given you're the expert. Literally no one cares you have problems with spoon so ide say its probably time you stfu. You're not the first, you wont be the last. Its happened year after year and you all just need to get over it and live your lives. Does spoon seriously bother you that much? Or do you find gratification from belittling him and others? Either way, you're much more annoying than he is.

Same goes for you neptune.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2021-11-06 17:29:00)

#27 2021-11-06 17:57:29

Tarr
Banned

Play nice folks. No reason for people to be reeing at each other.

fug it’s Tarr.

#28 2021-11-06 18:23:37

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I'd like "Min active players for specialty biomes" to get increased to 3,000,000,000 or better that part and related parts of the code to get removed entirely.  There was an over 3.5k spread only a day or two after the last arc reset between families.  That's probably a one-way trip, and even if not, there's enough reason to believe that a player can't make a two-way trip and have a child.

Well if they remove homesickness we would just have every family in the same town.

One curse sends you straight to donkey town.

Guess this would make Jason more money.

There could only exist one family yes.

But, lack of a race isn't the only condition under which Eve spawns.  And there was other ways that Eves spawned before race restrictions.  So, that could get tweaked.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#29 2021-11-06 18:43:11

Laggy

Eve Troll wrote:
Laggy wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

There are many who read these forms just to see the antics spoon gets up to.

You should know that given you're the expert. Literally no one cares you have problems with spoon so ide say its probably time you stfu. You're not the first, you wont be the last. Its happened year after year and you all just need to get over it and live your lives. Does spoon seriously bother you that much? Or do you find gratification from belittling him and others? Either way, you're much more annoying than he is.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Troll, are you from China?

Do you look like Winnie the Poo?

Because you're acting like a dictator.

Let me take a guess and say you have no sense of humor also....

#30 2021-11-06 18:53:53

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:
Laggy wrote:

I think Troll asked some questions and stated his opinion.  He didn't tell you what to do commanding such with threat of force.  So, no he wasn't acting like a dictator.

Also Laggy, you forgot to say "you communist libtard".

Although seriously I have no idea if Troll is a communist or a liberal.

Danish Clinch.

#31 2021-11-06 18:56:46

Laggy

Spoonwood wrote:
Laggy wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

I think Troll asked some questions and stated his opinion.  He didn't tell you what to do commanding such with threat of force.  So, no he wasn't acting like a dictator.

Also Laggy, you forgot to say "you communist libtard".

Although seriously I have no idea if Troll is a communist or a liberal.

Yes your always right...

Telling people to STFU isn't really an opinion.

#32 2021-11-06 19:13:58

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

Yes your always right...

Telling people to STFU isn't really an opinion.

Not what I claimed.

Troll said:

EveTroll wrote:

Literally no one cares you have problems with spoon so ide say its probably time you stfu.

See the word probably?  See how the word 'time' is there?

Whether it's "probably time" to do something or not, often is a matter of opinion.  "It's probably time to take out the trash."  "Naw, tomorrow is probably the time to take out the trash."  Or "It's probably time to rake the leaves."  "No, tomorrow would be better for raking leaves, since there would be more leaves on the ground and thus they would be easier to rake then."

Then you responded by saying Eve Troll was acting like a dictator.  Again, I don't think dictators say something like "ide say its probably time ...", they are much more clear, and speak under threat of force.

Danish Clinch.

#33 2021-11-06 19:43:26

Laggy

LOL... Eve Troll is Spoons alt account..

Defend your alter ego more...

#34 2021-11-06 20:33:44

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

No, I'm not Eve Troll.

He advised you to ask any of the vets.

But also, I can refer to Slinky speaking once:

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I do not care what your opinion is Mr.Toxolotl, Beep, Troll.

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewto … 52#p103552

Danish Clinch.

#35 2021-11-06 22:32:18

LonelyNeptune

Laggy wrote:

This is incredibly sad.

But also funny XD

#36 2021-11-06 23:15:17

Eve Troll

I loved the rift and i dominated most arcs with my lineage. Spoon didnt even play during the rift. Tarr also used my blood to activate a end tower in the middle of a maze one arc which spawned the baby apocalypse.

I respect spoons tenacity and unyielding nature. Without him these forums would be dead. Plus its always fun to see the stuff he comes up with and how people react. I recommend not taking this stuff so seriously. Laugh, have fun, and do your best to respect each other.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2021-11-06 23:22:16)

#37 2021-11-11 01:50:24

WumboJumbo

Tarr wrote:

Play nice folks. No reason for people to be reeing at each other.

At least for now, your expectations for this community are too high.

#38 2021-11-11 01:52:50

WumboJumbo

Laggy wrote:

In that case, is LonelyNeptune your alt account?

#39 2021-11-11 02:40:20

LonelyNeptune

If Laggy was my sockpuppet he'd be doing a shit job. Spoonwood gets unsolicited compliments over his "tenacity and unyielding nature". Where's my grovelling praise??? 2/10 would not sockpuppet.

#40 2021-11-11 15:07:32

Eve Troll

I respect Neptune's passion and fearlessness when speaking ill of others. smile

#41 2021-11-11 16:37:32

Laggy

I am no one's lacky.

I don't even like myself yet alone other people.

#42 2021-11-14 22:48:38

WumboJumbo

Laggy wrote:

I am no one's lacky.

I don't even like myself yet alone other people.

That explains a lot... wink

#43 2021-11-15 07:14:45

Sir_Castic

Why are you guys having a flame war? What year is this?

Neptune, you're exactly as obsessive as you're accusing spoon of being, but your object of obsession is him.. Why? That's so weird. Leave him alone

Spoon, buddy, you gotta let it go. People behave logically, yes, but the logic you're applying to them isn't the logic they use to work. I suspect you know this, but you're fighting against it because it doesn't make sense and shouldn't exist. The bad news is, it actually makes plenty of sense, and is simply more complex than you realize. You have to learn that there is more data encoded in the words people use than just what the words imply. Much more, like, two or three whole layers. And what's more sometimes they firmly hold mutually exclusive beliefs, for totally valid reasons, and that sometimes they say one thing, and mean it, and yet will never act that way, but it wasn't a lie. People are just like that, you included. You just have to learn to work with that. You can't change it, and it's literally a waste of your time to try. For 85% of the population, 60% of the time, it is NOT possible to convince them they are wrong using logic. You have to use other tactics to get what you want. Dale Carnegie wrote a book on it that helps. The best tip is to show them how what they want is achieved by what you want. The tricky part is, you have to be right about what they want, and you're usually not going to get a straight answer to that, if you even get an answer at all.

Also, like, just a word of advice:

You can CHOOSE what you respond to. When someone calls you autistic on the internet, or, more generally, when they harass you, the best move is to completely ignore it. People on the internet can't beat you up for ignoring their harassment. They can just harass harder and then get banned for crossing the line.

So like, don't respond to that shit. Trust me. There's a block button, usually. Use it. Your life will improve when you stop trying to win approval from people who are only interested in making you feel bad. When you play that game with them, a victory scenario for you does not exist! "The only winning move is not to play".. don't be a rube! Don't play!

Last edited by Sir_Castic (2021-11-15 07:38:11)

#44 2021-11-15 07:19:56

Eve Troll

A sane individual on these forums?!

Is that allowed? how'd you even get in here?

#45 2021-11-15 07:25:59

Sir_Castic

In regards to the rest of the thread, by the way,

Spoon: Huge tip for you right here: learn this! Learn this well for the rest of your life!

When someone insults you, or says something to make you feel small, never, EVER use logic to refute it! What are you trying to do? Convince them not to attack you? They already are. It's not about logic. They don't care.

They probably won't even listen. Such a person can be assumed, 90% of the time, to not care about being right. They just want to hurt you! That's not the move, so stop trying it. It isn't going to work any better than the other times you've tried it - such a move makes you look weak and invites further attacks, because you aren't responding with the correct response according to the rules of the game. It's a deflection, it's a non-answer.

There is a subtext to these words, and that subtext is that you are being challenged. If you choose to respond at all (and you don't have to; not responding makes them look like a loser) you have to say something devasting, not refute their challenge point by point. Responding in kind is the correct way to respond to the challenge. Just copy what people do.. and recognize that responding to the challenge means getting into some kind of fight, and be ready for that. copy and mirror the general category of the thing they are doing, making necessary changes as seems appropriate. that's a hugely effective tactic 80% of the time and humans are designed to work very well when we do that. So do that. Not the other thing.

Defending yourself with logic is zero defense and will only make you feel helpless and succeed in victimizing you further. Don't try to defend yourself by showing how smart you are - it literally makes you more vulnerable. Instead, attack them for being dumb. Don't defend, attack. Aim for their insecurities. Just try not to look like an asshole to everyone else when you hit back.

This tip is for real life. On the internet you can just turn your fuckin screen off and walk away. They literally are only just words, don't be afraid to treat them like it

You control what you allow into your life

Last edited by Sir_Castic (2021-11-15 07:48:24)

#46 2021-11-15 09:03:14

forman

make them look stupid/attack their life failures (which you can assume)

#47 2021-11-15 14:31:29

Spoonwood

Sir_Castic wrote:

And what's more sometimes they firmly hold mutually exclusive beliefs, for totally valid reasons

If beliefs are mutually exclusive, then they are contradictory and both cannot hold true at the same time.  Consequently, such people cannot hold them both for totally valid reasons.

Sir_Castic wrote:

When someone calls you autistic on the internet, or, more generally, when they harass you, the best move is to completely ignore it. People on the internet can't beat you up for ignoring their harassment. They can just harass harder and then get banned for crossing the line.

Uh, if that's all that can happen, how exactly is it better to ignore them, than to let them do their own self in?

Sir_Castic wrote:

Your life will improve when you stop trying to win approval from people who are only interested in making you feel bad.

I don't try to win approval from people who are only interested in making me feel bad.

Sir_Castic wrote:

When someone insults you, or says something to make you feel small, never, EVER use logic to refute it! What are you trying to do? Convince them not to attack you? They already are. It's not about logic. They don't care.

I don't speak to these people in private or like over lunch at some restaurant.  I reply on the internet where others read.  I don't write so much for the person I reply to, but for others who read it.

Sir_Castic wrote:

It isn't going to work any better than the other times you've tried it - such a move makes you look weak and invites further attacks, because you aren't responding with the correct response according to the rules of the game. It's a deflection, it's a non-answer.

I have no interest in playing "their" game.  I don't see how such makes me look weak or invites further attacks.  Why do you think that I write for such people on a public forum?

Sir_Castic wrote:

If you choose to respond at all (and you don't have to; not responding makes them look like a loser) you have to say something devasting, not refute their challenge point by point.

If every point is wrong, or even most of the points are wrong, that comes as devastating to one's position.

Sir_Castic wrote:

Responding in kind is the correct way to respond to the challenge.

That's stooping to "their" level.  Responding in kind, at the very least, is not always the correct answer.  If someone assaults with their fists, the correct answer is not to punch back the next day.  And one shouldn't even punch back on that same day.  It's to call law enforcement.  Or not engage with such a person ever again (there might be exceptions, but I'm not sure I need to go into them).

Sir_Castic wrote:

Just copy what people do.. and recognize that responding to the challenge means getting into some kind of fight, and be ready for that. copy and mirror the general category of the thing they are doing, making necessary changes as seems appropriate.

Yea, absolutely not.  There is no reason ever to copy a bully.  One issue comes as that anyone who looks on can easily become confused as to who is the aggressor.  Ending such behavior also doesn't come about by more of it occurring.  There's a phrase that Jesus had, which might have some insight for such situations.  When someone strikes you on the face, you turn the other cheek.  Maybe that's not quite right, but it's better than just stooping to "their" level and saying nonsensical things back "in kind".  Especially since people who often do such things *want* a fight.  When such people *want* a fight, or insult shouting match whatever it is exactly, "responding in kind", will just give "those" people what they want.  And again, I have no interest in playing their game.

Sir_Castic wrote:

Defending yourself with logic is zero defense and will only make you feel helpless and succeed in victimizing you further.

I don't feel helpless.  I also voluntarily participate on forums.

Sir_Castic wrote:

Don't try to defend yourself by showing how smart you are - it literally makes you more vulnerable. Instead, attack them for being dumb. Don't defend, attack.

No competent general would ever advise to only attack or to only defend.  And chess doesn't work that way (usually) either.  In combative situations, both defense and attack come as recommended at the appropriate times.

Sir_Castic wrote:

Just try not to look like an asshole to everyone else when you hit back.

It's already the case that not everyone on the forums views me as an "asshole" or at least, some have complimented what I write enough that even if they view me as an "asshole", it's not so much of an issue.

But again, no, I definitely do not think that "hitting back" is appropriate in the way that you suggest.  A 'Report' button exists, and I have used it.  Other people do read the forums.  And you already had said that this is the likely result: " ... get banned for crossing the line."  Exactly how is it a bad play if I use logic, people respond badly, and then get banned for responding badly?  Because a moderator has to ban such a person?  But that's a duty of a moderator, so I don't see how there's a problem there.  And well, at least in the way you presented it, and as I'd like to imagine, I didn't have a part in that person getting banned.  They did their own self in.  Sounds about right to me.

Additionally, responding back with "attacking life failures" as forman suggests just involves oneself in ad hominem arguments or insults.

Arguments and positions stand or fall solely on their merit.  One's personal failings (or brilliances for that matter) don't change the status of arguments or positions one bit.  I have no interest in them.  They confuse enough people, and more of them, don't need to go around, because again, arguments and positions stand or fall solely on their merit.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-15 14:38:12)

Danish Clinch.

#48 2021-11-15 14:55:48

Spoonwood

Also, when I think about it "responding in kind" to such people could get described as engaging in a "flame war".  But, "flame wars", at least so far as I can tell, don't usually work out well for either party in the end.

Danish Clinch.

#49 2021-11-15 15:21:38

Laggy

Spoonwood wrote:
Sir_Castic wrote:

And what's more sometimes they firmly hold mutually exclusive beliefs, for totally valid reasons

If beliefs are mutually exclusive, then they are contradictory and both cannot hold true at the same time.  Consequently, such people cannot hold them both for totally valid reasons.

Sir_Castic wrote:

When someone calls you autistic on the internet, or, more generally, when they harass you, the best move is to completely ignore it. People on the internet can't beat you up for ignoring their harassment. They can just harass harder and then get banned for crossing the line.

Uh, if that's all that can happen, how exactly is it better to ignore them, than to let them do their own self in?

Sir_Castic wrote:

Your life will improve when you stop trying to win approval from people who are only interested in making you feel bad.

I don't try to win approval from people who are only interested in making me feel bad.

Sir_Castic wrote:

I don't speak to these people in private or like over lunch at some restaurant.  I reply on the internet where others read.  I don't write so much for the person I reply to, but for others who read it.

Sir_Castic wrote:

It isn't going to work any better than the other times you've tried it - such a move makes you look weak and invites further attacks, because you aren't responding with the correct response according to the rules of the game. It's a deflection, it's a non-answer.

I have no interest in playing "their" game.  I don't see how such makes me look weak or invites further attacks.  Why do you think that I write for such people on a public forum?

Sir_Castic wrote:

If you choose to respond at all (and you don't have to; not responding makes them look like a loser) you have to say something devasting, not refute their challenge point by point.

If every point is wrong, or even most of the points are wrong, that comes as devastating to one's position.

Sir_Castic wrote:

Responding in kind is the correct way to respond to the challenge.

That's stooping to "their" level.  Responding in kind, at the very least, is not always the correct answer.  If someone assaults with their fists, the correct answer is not to punch back the next day.  And one shouldn't even punch back on that same day.  It's to call law enforcement.  Or not engage with such a person ever again (there might be exceptions, but I'm not sure I need to go into them).

Sir_Castic wrote:

Just copy what people do.. and recognize that responding to the challenge means getting into some kind of fight, and be ready for that. copy and mirror the general category of the thing they are doing, making necessary changes as seems appropriate.

Yea, absolutely not.  There is no reason ever to copy a bully.  One issue comes as that anyone who looks on can easily become confused as to who is the aggressor.  Ending such behavior also doesn't come about by more of it occurring.  There's a phrase that Jesus had, which might have some insight for such situations.  When someone strikes you on the face, you turn the other cheek.  Maybe that's not quite right, but it's better than just stooping to "their" level and saying nonsensical things back "in kind".  Especially since people who often do such things *want* a fight.  When such people *want* a fight, or insult shouting match whatever it is exactly, "responding in kind", will just give "those" people what they want.  And again, I have no interest in playing their game.

Sir_Castic wrote:

Defending yourself with logic is zero defense and will only make you feel helpless and succeed in victimizing you further.

I don't feel helpless.  I also voluntarily participate on forums.

Sir_Castic wrote:

Don't try to defend yourself by showing how smart you are - it literally makes you more vulnerable. Instead, attack them for being dumb. Don't defend, attack.

No competent general would ever advise to only attack or to only defend.  And chess doesn't work that way (usually) either.  In combative situations, both defense and attack come as recommended at the appropriate times.

Sir_Castic wrote:

Just try not to look like an asshole to everyone else when you hit back.

It's already the case that not everyone on the forums views me as an "asshole" or at least, some have complimented what I write enough that even if they view me as an "asshole", it's not so much of an issue.

But again, no, I definitely do not think that "hitting back" is appropriate in the way that you suggest.  A 'Report' button exists, and I have used it.  Other people do read the forums.  And you already had said that this is the likely result: " ... get banned for crossing the line."  Exactly how is it a bad play if I use logic, people respond badly, and then get banned for responding badly?  Because a moderator has to ban such a person?  But that's a duty of a moderator, so I don't see how there's a problem there.  And well, at least in the way you presented it, and as I'd like to imagine, I didn't have a part in that person getting banned.  They did their own self in.  Sounds about right to me.

Additionally, responding back with "attacking life failures" as forman suggests just involves oneself in ad hominem arguments or insults.

Arguments and positions stand or fall solely on their merit.  One's personal failings (or brilliances for that matter) don't change the status of arguments or positions one bit.  I have no interest in them.  They confuse enough people, and more of them, don't need to go around, because again, arguments and positions stand or fall solely on their merit.

Dis, dis is why.... Nice novel....

#50 2021-11-15 23:02:11

LonelyNeptune

Haha, enjoy the Spoon treatment Castic!

Board footer