One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-08-29 01:11:12

NoTruePunk

Re: Sprinklers and Plows

Gremlynn wrote:

Main issue I see with sprinklers is moving them. You need a hammer to disassemble them and baskets to move each part. Without a truck this would take many lives. Combine this with the dramatic push west and a sprinklers cost in steel.

Think about this. I dont have the answers and im too lazy to look them up.

1. How many bowls or water do you get from 4 buckets?

Each bowl of soil costs aproximately 0.00569 kero doses. Each bowl of water costs exactly 0.025 kero when pumped from the well.

2. How many junctions(sprinkler heads) would you need to make to have the kero per kero use be more efficient than buckets?

Profit starts at 3 long. It needs to be longer than that though in order to pay itself off though. At lengths of 10 it'll take about 75 runs to pay itself off. At lengths of 22 it'll take about 50 runs. Water is cheap, steel is expensive.

3. Think about the potential of error with a charged sprinkler and noobs accidentally putting water into empty or already watered spaces.

This would be impossible to quantify, unless we get some very detailed server side stats and take the average. I'd expect about 10% loss. Negligible really.

4. How much iron would it cost to produce a profitable sprinkler?

Something like 28. Basically don't make them unless you've got a spare engine looted from another town or your town has 3+ uncollapsed mines. Overabundance of iron means you can turn iron into water, which is what the sprinkler does.

5. How much time and kero(truck) would it take to effectively move sprinkler systems west for each fam?

Probably one lifetime. Someone would need to dedicate their life to it, and likely restructure an existing or developing farm. That means a lot of adze uses tearing up paths, a lot of digging up and moving crops, a lot of explaining to angry noobs that you're not a griefer.

6. Is that kero, for the sprinkler, plow, and truck worth the equivalent amount of water or iron? (Remember one bit of kero is worth 5 iron profit)

Trucks are pure labor multipliers, so it's impossible to quantify. Plows and sprinklers are also labor multipliers, but they also directly consume and produce resources, so it's easier to quantify.

#27 2021-08-31 01:01:37

forman

Are you taking into consideration the number of valves? I calculated 1000 bowls of water per each kero use with 40 valves

The more valves you stick into it the more efficient it is per use with no upper limit -- therefore I don't ever see the downside.

Each village usually doesn't collapse all of their mines so I start farming injection nozzles.

My sprinkler was moved from at least 5 different towns.

Could have done more that 40 nozzles but its pretty annoying to move all that around even with a truck.

The truth is the nozzles are the hard part so you could just leave all the pipes behind and rebuild those -- they don't take that long.

Last edited by forman (2021-08-31 01:04:42)

#28 2021-09-02 22:50:08

NoTruePunk

forman wrote:

Are you taking into consideration the number of valves? I calculated 1000 bowls of water per each kero use with 40 valves

The more valves you stick into it the more efficient it is per use with no upper limit -- therefore I don't ever see the downside.

Each village usually doesn't collapse all of their mines so I start farming injection nozzles.

My sprinkler was moved from at least 5 different towns.

Could have done more that 40 nozzles but its pretty annoying to move all that around even with a truck.

The truth is the nozzles are the hard part so you could just leave all the pipes behind and rebuild those -- they don't take that long.

Yeah, each segment takes 3 steel.

3 steel is .6 kero, plus a bit is lost to the forming process, which I went into on the links above. It comes out to around .85 kero per segment or something. That might not seem like a lot but each bowl of water is only .025 kero, so right off the bat youve got to run that one segment around 34 times to pay itself off, not taking into account the cost of the engine and the small operating cost.

Basically mining iron with the diesel miner is extremely expensive. When forced to choose between spending kero on pumping water or spending it on mining iron for a sprinkler, you should always choose the water pump.

If iron is plentiful already then sprinklers are a good choice.

Last edited by NoTruePunk (2021-09-02 23:06:44)

Board footer