One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2021-02-03 16:13:38

Bellium

Re: So /Die Just Seems To Get Worse and Worse

I don't even want a menu to decide where I get born at the beginning of the game, I just don't want any more SID babies, I like actually being a mother in this game, and the problem with just removing SID is it just promotes runner babies

#52 2021-02-03 16:19:12

JonySky
Website

Bellium wrote:

I don't even want a menu to decide where I get born at the beginning of the game, I just don't want any more SID babies, I like actually being a mother in this game, and the problem with just removing SID is it just promotes runner babies

I think Dodge was trying to explain just that ... the problem is deeper than suicidal babies or running babies ... or the choice of the character before being born ... the problem is why the players decide to commit suicide? ...

the game has nothing to keep a player from staying in that new life or family, because in that life where he was born he will do exactly the same as he did in the previous life and in the next life

the only thing that holds a player back are personal projects (for example: making wine, or making an engine, or making a truck)

If a player gets bored, it doesn't matter how old the character is, or the system they use to commit suicide ... will commit suicide and close the game anyway

Last edited by JonySky (2021-02-03 16:24:21)

#53 2021-02-06 10:05:35

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Why cant i be free to spawn food,water or oil at will? Because it would ruin the game for me and others, you're free to do everything possible in game but what you're talking about is not freedom, it's restricting the situations that players could create when they are faced with life events, why do you feel the need to make the experience of other players limited, repetitive and boring?

The possibility of spawning to food, water, or oil wouldn't prevent anyone from spawning as naked and starving, since there is no limit on the number of players that can spawn as adults or even as 3 year olds. 

Also, no one that I know of has the position that the random birth 'login' should get eliminated.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#54 2021-02-06 15:22:57

LilyFox

I think the main reasons why players use /die are:

1. They want to be born into a specific family
2. They want to be born as a certain race
3. They don't like the town for some reason (usually because it's too advanced or not advanced enough)
4. They are hoping to get an Eve spawn

As for 1) I think that has at least been partly solved by the reincarnation mechanic. However, now we also have babies who /die because they DON'T want to get reincarnated into the same family and didn't manage to die before turning 60 in their previous life. I think a possible solution for that problem would be to allow players to use /die again at age 59, with no impact on gene score. That way, one can easily choose not to get reborn into the same family without causing much frustration for anyone.

For 2), honestly, just get rid of ethnicity restrictions. They do not have any benefits other than making the game more annoying, frustrating and confusing. They do not cause towns to feel more “diverse”, if anything they cause LESS diversity because there are very few ways to deal with them. And they do not encourage trade because people dumping their stuff into other towns after getting asked for it on hetuw is not “trade”. I really doubt many people would care about their race if not for these restrictions.

For 3) really the only way to encourage a greater variety of towns is to encourage more people to play the game. Right now, with the usual amount of people, there's usually just four towns on bs2 that are often even at the same tech level since as soon as a new town pops up, people go there and dump engines, kero, etc (and I can't even blame them since race restrictions make it so annoying to upgrade the well and no water means death). Plus the game actually DISCOURAGES new players because as soon as there are too many players on a server, everything descends into chaos since many of the mechanics are confusing and rely on the usual “balance” between four towns with a high enough percentage of experienced players traveling between them to ensure everyone has rubber and kero.

Lastly, for 4), I've seen others suggest that there's some sort of checkbox people can fill if they'd like to get an Eve spawn or uncheck if they don't. I really like that idea, preferably with an explanation saying that even keeping that option checked does not necessarily guarantee an Eve run and there's no point in spamming /die in such cases. That said, what would really encourage more Eve spawns is again a larger amount of players on a server.

Thank you for reading my rant.

#55 2021-02-06 18:44:11

Spoonwood

LilyFox wrote:

I think the main reasons why players use /die are:

1. They want to be born into a specific family
2. They want to be born as a certain race
3. They don't like the town for some reason (usually because it's too advanced or not advanced enough)
4. They are hoping to get an Eve spawn

As for 1) I think that has at least been partly solved by the reincarnation mechanic. However, now we also have babies who /die because they DON'T want to get reincarnated into the same family and didn't manage to die before turning 60 in their previous life. I think a possible solution for that problem would be to allow players to use /die again at age 59, with no impact on gene score. That way, one can easily choose not to get reborn into the same family without causing much frustration for anyone.

For 2), honestly, just get rid of ethnicity restrictions. They do not have any benefits other than making the game more annoying, frustrating and confusing. They do not cause towns to feel more “diverse”, if anything they cause LESS diversity because there are very few ways to deal with them. And they do not encourage trade because people dumping their stuff into other towns after getting asked for it on hetuw is not “trade”. I really doubt many people would care about their race if not for these restrictions.

For 3) really the only way to encourage a greater variety of towns is to encourage more people to play the game. Right now, with the usual amount of people, there's usually just four towns on bs2 that are often even at the same tech level since as soon as a new town pops up, people go there and dump engines, kero, etc (and I can't even blame them since race restrictions make it so annoying to upgrade the well and no water means death). Plus the game actually DISCOURAGES new players because as soon as there are too many players on a server, everything descends into chaos since many of the mechanics are confusing and rely on the usual “balance” between four towns with a high enough percentage of experienced players traveling between them to ensure everyone has rubber and kero.

Lastly, for 4), I've seen others suggest that there's some sort of checkbox people can fill if they'd like to get an Eve spawn or uncheck if they don't. I really like that idea, preferably with an explanation saying that even keeping that option checked does not necessarily guarantee an Eve run and there's no point in spamming /die in such cases. That said, what would really encourage more Eve spawns is again a larger amount of players on a server.

Thank you for reading my rant.

I think there's good points in what you say here.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer