One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-01-28 11:57:46

Cogito

Re: So /Die Just Seems To Get Worse and Worse

DestinyCall wrote:
The_Anabaptist wrote:

Considering that Jason has already resisted a simple option to say Eve or Not Eve in the past.  The more you add to the solution, the less likely it will be considered.
The_Anabaptist

Another option for reducing problems associated with /die babies and sudden sky babies would be visible pregnancy.   Instead of being dropped on a random mother as a baby, you are given a brief window to observe your mother "from the womb", before being born.  During this one-minute pregnancy, you could choose to /die if you don't like what you see.   And your mother could also use /die, if she wasn't ready to be a mother.      Once you were born, the /die command no longer works for either party and you are committed to a new life.

For some reason I had never considered pregnancy as an option, but I love it.

Not sure on how the mechanics of miscarriage and abortion might play out, but worth exploring.

Biggest potential flaw is a player not being able to spawn because their mum keeps killing them. I also feel that the experience of being stuck in a belly for (almost) a minute, and then being killed would sort of suck.

A lot of the benefits would come by only allowing babies to /die while in the womb, and not allowing mothers to kill them, so I think that may be a better starting point for discussion.

#27 2021-01-28 13:58:44

DestinyCall

Seems only fair to me that if we give the baby an Abort button, the mother should have the same option.   It is her body.  And there are some situations when you are simply not able to provide for a baby, even if you would like to be able to do so, like if your town is in the middle of a famine or if you are miles away from civilization, searching for oil, or if you are an Eve, struggling to set-up a basic camp and you already have two kids to keep alive.   This would save you from having to ask your unborn baby to kill itself, because you know it will not survive anyways and you don't want to waste the other player's time.  Or abandoning them to a slow, cruel death.

When a baby uses /die, they would not be sent back to that same mother again and again. To prevent /die spam, that mother would be temporarily removed from the list of eligible mothers for the player who used the /die command.  In fact, I think it should act as a short term lineage ban, preventing you from being born into that whole family for a period of time - perhaps 30 minutes or one hour.  As a baby, using /die tells the game "I don't want to be born there.  Don't send me back. I would rather die then live there."

Conversely, when a potential mother uses /die, she would be rendered temporarily infertile.  This would stop any babies from being assigned to her for a short period of time - maybe 5 or 10 minutes.   A woman is only fertile for roughly twenty minutes, so using /die one time wouldn't completely prevent you from having kids in that life, but it would significantly narrow your fertility window.  From the babiy's perspective, it would suck to get killed before you even were born, but you could not get killed repeatedly by the same woman.  That would be a different kind of /die spamming and we are trying to avoid that.  When a mother uses /die, she is telling the game "I do not want a baby.  Do not send any more right now.
I won't take care of them. "

I should also add that pregnancy would be a part of infancy, so when you join, you would spend "9 months" in the womb, get born as a helpless baby, then eventually grow hair and gain your independence in the same three minute time-span as currently occurs.  The addition of a pregnancy period would not extend the helpless baby period.   It would actually make it a little shorter, since a third of your infancy would take place prior to your birth.

#28 2021-02-02 00:29:37

Melonaise

I honestly think this game is to convince men that birth control is important, lol.

If all the fertile women concurrent choose to not have kids, there will be tons and tons of eves, and so tons of different families but mostly quite small. It sucks when you're an Eve and getting babies, but if you wait until you're established enough to handle them, ten more Eves in your family will have spawned in the mean time and you'll only have a few minutes of fertility left.

I do think the biome changes to make the stripes of homeland have made it both harder and easier -- I know I can go north or south to avoid having kids, but if I'm looking for something in my own biome (sulfur, latex, oil) there's no easy "off" switch. Maybe a function of decreasing likelihood of being a mother the further you get from your home well -- if you're near town and you don't want the kid, just drop it off at the nursery and someone will feed it.

Let's look at the reasons why people /die:
1) They want a specific family. That could be addressed with a menu.
2) They don't want to be a girl because they want to be able to go off and drill for oil or build a road or whatever. This could be addressed with a birth control system, or also with a menu -- select your family and your sex.
3) Artificially reduce their gene score so they don't become leader. This is the main reason I use /die. Perhaps a handicap I can set, so I could still potentially be leader if the town is somehow full of failures or noobs, but I wouldn't be if anyone halfway experienced is around? Just because I can live to old age every life doesn't mean I have any idea how to organize a town or deal with griefers.

But I disagree that there's anything wrong with /die as it is. Most of the time the baby dies in my arms and I just drop it somewhere outside. By the time anyone finds it to think about burying it, then gets the shovel, it's decayed. Mostly I just want some sort of score handicap or ability to abdicate leadership. Even if I follow someone else, I'm still technically a leader -- just a Lord to their Baron or whatever -- and people expect me to do leader things like exile people.

#29 2021-02-02 03:55:31

fug

Melonaise wrote:

Let's look at the reasons why people /die:
1) They want a specific family. That could be addressed with a menu.
2) They don't want to be a girl because they want to be able to go off and drill for oil or build a road or whatever. This could be addressed with a birth control system, or also with a menu -- select your family and your sex.
3) Artificially reduce their gene score so they don't become leader. This is the main reason I use /die. Perhaps a handicap I can set, so I could still potentially be leader if the town is somehow full of failures or noobs, but I wouldn't be if anyone halfway experienced is around? Just because I can live to old age every life doesn't mean I have any idea how to organize a town or deal with griefers.

When trying to fix the reason people /die Jason was going to implement a menu that gave options such as choosing family by generation length (thus allowing people a difference between early and later game), picking gender, and picking race. This amount of choice would have definitely cut down on the die issue but instead he went with life tokens as other people decided that this removed the random life bit (which would later be removed with the legacy chain which is just old content readded anyways.)

Life tokens did what Jason wanted for a short time - Psychologically people would flip out as they noticed their lives starting to run low and would value the lives more and not risk using the die feature. Fortunately, the player base wasn't dumb enough to stick to this mentality very long and life returned to /die baby city.

Next chapter of the life token story leads us to all the different issues such as the game not being balanced around certain aspects which lead to players running out of lives and being unable to play at all. Imagine buying this game and instantly being dumped to die so many times the game just locks you out. This is a real thing that occurred which probably promptly lead to refunds because it was pretty unplayable for new people. This would happen multiple times throughout patches until eventually just getting to meme levels of tokens and spawn ate to stop this issue from ever happening again.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#30 2021-02-02 06:04:06

Dodge

A menu screen that let's you choose everything in your life would be really sad...

One of the great part of this game is that you never know what your life is going to be like, or at least it's what eventually it tries to create.

There are other solutions but this is not the one.

#31 2021-02-02 08:01:45

DestinyCall

If you are already using /die to re-roll the dice until you like the outcome, the magic is gone.

I would not want these options to be on the title screen, prompting you to design your life every timw, like a character creation screen.  But as an additional feature under game options, buried a few menus deep ... I think that would be just fine.   It is there if you want it bad enough to find it, but the completely randomized life remains the gold standard and easiest option.

#32 2021-02-02 09:17:46

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

If you are already using /die to re-roll the dice until you like the outcome, the magic is gone.

/die has been added because there wasn't any better solution to being able to run away and die to reroll your life

I dont consider /die a good solution but more like a placeholder waiting for something that would really solve the issue.

There is something that would both solve this issue while still giving some choice and at the same time not resort to some menu where you can choose everything about your next life.

#33 2021-02-02 13:30:37

Bellium

Dodge wrote:

A menu screen that let's you choose everything in your life would be really sad...

One of the great part of this game is that you never know what your life is going to be like, or at least it's what eventually it tries to create.

Honestly I would love if there was a menu for when you really wanted to be born in black fam to tame horses, or don't want to deal with kids, but also just a button you could hit for "random" for when you want life to be dealt out to you.

#34 2021-02-02 13:44:52

Dodge

Bellium wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Honestly I would love if there was a menu for when you really wanted to be born in black fam to tame horses, or don't want to deal with kids, but also just a button you could hit for "random" for when you want life to be dealt out to you.

You shouldn't need to be black to tame horses in the first place as for how you deal with kids these are the choices you make in game and the decisions you make impacts future generations (if the game was what it could be), if you let the player choose everything before they are born then you remove that core part of the game and all the unique situations that can happen just become less and less until they all disappear and each life becomes incredibly boring and predictable.

#35 2021-02-02 15:06:30

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

This amount of choice would have definitely cut down on the die issue but instead he went with life tokens as other people decided that this removed the random life bit (which would later be removed with the legacy chain which is just old content readded anyways.)

Legacy chain doesn't work well with the current Eve spawning system.  This past morning, we again had 2 families for something like an hour, and the 4th didn't appear for a bit longer I think.  I think it's a combination of players who have high gene score tend to live to 60, then they end up tending to get reborn to their previous family.  Players who don't live to 60 can spawn as Eve if they have high enough gene score.  But, they tend to end up with lower gene score than the last 5 deaths (I'm guessing that tutorial players get counted somehow towards the last 5 deaths... which doesn't make sense to me... but it's only a guess).  The effect ends up that we don't get new Eves, and it seems that a gene score of 50 or 51 sometimes isn't high enough to get an Eve spawn.

fug wrote:

Next chapter of the life token story ...

I saw a streamer run out of lives back during the first time the game got put up for a discount price.  There's little telling how often that has happened since life tokens got introduced.

Dodge wrote:

It's currently sad and has been sad that the game doesn't have choice with respect to players initial conditions.  One's life in this game doesn't try to create anything, and it's one of the worst parts of the game that one can't make plans with respect to how to do things all that much.  In real life, there exists substantially more ability to plan things than in OHOL, and the lack of an initial selection screen emphasizes that.

There don't exist other solutions, as people's nature and desires have to get worked with.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#36 2021-02-02 15:23:26

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

There don't exist other solutions

You not being able to think of a solution doesn't mean this solution doesn't exist.

#37 2021-02-02 15:23:53

Bellium

Dodge wrote:
Bellium wrote:
Dodge wrote:

You shouldn't need to be black to tame horses in the first place as for how you deal with kids these are the choices you make in game and the decisions you make impacts future generations (if the game was what it could be), if you let the player choose everything before they are born then you remove that core part of the game and all the unique situations that can happen just become less and less until they all disappear and each life becomes incredibly boring and predictable.

While I agree you shouldn't need to be black to tame horses, that's not really something that can be argued over right now. And it's not like you have many options on how to deal with kids if your a fertile female wanting to do race locked stuff unless you count poopping em out and leaving em to die as a valid option (I mean sure if bbs spawned with full hunger and the ability to walk sooner after birth they could stand some chance, but as is if your mom is afk and out of the village, or out of the village and leaves you you're just screwed).

Also I don't quite get what you mean? How does me deciding I want to spawn in as a ginger male how am I removing the impact of future generations or taking away unique circumstances? It's not like what future gens did make me spawn as a certain fam, and not just the game randomly deciding. How does giving players the freedom to pick the life they want take away any "core aspects" of the game, and I imagine enough people will want enough different things to keep everything varied.

Not even mentioning the fact that people have the ability to disregard this "core aspect" anyway, just through brute force using the /die mechanic. All allowing people to choose their births will do it allow them to decide their lives without spinning a roullete wheel for 10 minutes.

#38 2021-02-02 16:03:09

Dodge

Bellium wrote:

Also I don't quite get what you mean? How does me deciding I want to spawn in as a ginger male how am I removing the impact of future generations or taking away unique circumstances? It's not like what future gens did make me spawn as a certain fam, and not just the game randomly deciding. How does giving players the freedom to pick the life they want take away any "core aspects" of the game, and I imagine enough people will want enough different things to keep everything varied.

Ok let's say everyone get's to choose exactly what they want before they start their life, everyone that wants babies spawn as a woman and those who dont spawn as male, not a single life in the game will exist anymore where a baby gets abandonned, taken care by another member of the village and eventually the baby grows up and decides what he wants to do, how will the village react to one of their members abandonning a baby, will this village make laws forbiding this to happen etc.

You entirely removed that scenario from all the unique life situations that could happen in game.

I will admit that currently the game is not played like that anyway, if you get abandonned you dont really care and nothing really interesting happens unless you decide to roleplay it but i dont count that as good gameplay and most of the time rather annoying.

But if the game was good, being abandonned, being taken care by other members of the family, building the future generation etc would be meaningful.

Jason tried to simulate that interest by adding the meme score but it's a mediocre solution

Bellium wrote:

Not even mentioning the fact that people have the ability to disregard this "core aspect" anyway, just through brute force using the /die mechanic. All allowing people to choose their births will do it allow them to decide their lives without spinning a roullete wheel for 10 minutes.

Yes you shouldn't be able to do that, there should be some choice so you dont spawn for the 10th time in an advanced village when what you want is play eve camps for example, but rerolling to choose exactly what you want, no.

#39 2021-02-02 17:29:15

JonySky
Website

new challenges .... new goals!

The 50 remaining players in OHOL use / die to go back to their personal projects (wine, delivery truck, etc ...) because there are no challenges! there is nothing new, the cycle is always the same, there is nothing to change the boring cycle of the game

all the / die mechanics, genetic scoring, race blocking, etc ... are temporary patches that haven't evolved to generate a better game ... they're only there to fix problems temporarily and in a sloppy way

you cannot implement a temporary and sloppy patch to solve a specific problem and leave it there for months and months although the game has changed and the problem has also changed

do you want to implement / die? Well imagine that in the next life your character will be disabled and will not be able to eat alone, he will always need another character (for example)

do you want to create a hierarchy system? do not implement hierarchies attached another completely broken system (genetic punctuation) implement kings, thrones, royal blood, genetics, you can even join it to a system of professions and personal abilities

Do you want to implement a new map so that families are not so close? move them far away and implement the dynamic maps that are discovered when traveling (as in age of empires) and allow families to move and be born wherever they want !, implement group transport, baby carriers etc ...

do you want cities to not evolve so fast? implements natural disasters! Imagine that you intend to commit suicide because you don't like that family ... but a great fire kills half the population and your birth can save their lives! or implement diseases !, or pests that kill crops! ... in this way it makes sense to have an automatic irrigation machine or pesticides, or compost (that generates more food)

now automatic irrigation is only installed when the city is fully evolved and it is done out of boredom, not out of necessity

For the game to work you have to constantly challenge and target your players ... during the 60 minutes of the game!

You have to make the players feel useful

If the game is boring, players will use / die (or they will go to another game)
I keep asking ... where is this game headed?

Last edited by JonySky (2021-02-02 18:01:41)

#40 2021-02-02 23:41:03

Bellium

Dodge wrote:
Bellium wrote:

Ok let's say everyone get's to choose exactly what they want before they start their life, everyone that wants babies spawn as a woman and those who dont spawn as male, not a single life in the game will exist anymore where a baby gets abandonned, taken care by another member of the village and eventually the baby grows up and decides what he wants to do, how will the village react to one of their members abandonning a baby, will this village make laws forbiding this to happen etc.

You entirely removed that scenario from all the unique life situations that could happen in game.

I will admit that currently the game is not played like that anyway, if you get abandonned you dont really care and nothing really interesting happens unless you decide to roleplay it but i dont count that as good gameplay and most of the time rather annoying.

But if the game was good, being abandonned, being taken care by other members of the family, building the future generation etc would be meaningful.

Jason tried to simulate that interest by adding the meme score but it's a mediocre solution

Bellium wrote:

Yes you shouldn't be able to do that, there should be some choice so you dont spawn for the 10th time in an advanced village when what you want is play eve camps for example, but rerolling to choose exactly what you want, no.

Why is abandoned babies even a scenario that you want? Even then, people are allowed to pick random and then just abandon their children as they please (because for some reason that's the good result?). Just because people are given the option to choose, doesn't mean that everyone will always choose every life, and it certainly doesn't mean that everyone who decides they want babies is gonna be always taking care of everyone, all it does is reduce the rate of this occurring, which again is not a bad thing.

And ofc no one really cares if they get abandoned, it's not like they can do anything about it so why bother caring? Life is meaningless because people are used to treating it that way, because why would I spend an hour living a life where I don't even get to do the things I want? Where's the fun in that? Sure, there should be a random option that people can take if they desire (I would probably use it most of the time) but forcing people live lives they don't want, or just /die a thousand times and abandon babies is a really dumb way to force your idea of what is fun and right on everyone else

#41 2021-02-03 03:43:26

caroline

remove /die and make the small children starve

iunjdysuj

#42 2021-02-03 05:35:59

Dodge

Bellium wrote:

And ofc no one really cares if they get abandoned, it's not like they can do anything about it so why bother caring? Life is meaningless because people are used to treating it that way, because why would I spend an hour living a life where I don't even get to do the things I want? Where's the fun in that?

It's not about being forced to do something that you dont want to, on the contrary, it's about not having the best cards but still making the best out of them and end up doing what you want to do despite the situation and having fun in the process.

But if every life you're just handed exactly what you want then every life is going to end up the same, no challenge to overcome, no creative solutions to figure out.

Let's say you're a woman and have a baby but dont want to spend time raising it, what are you going to do?

The way you answer that question creates a story and that story is unique to you and each player will answer in a different way even slightly which ends up creating an infinite number of situations that even the most complex AI couldn't even come close to.

I'm not saying the game is currently like this but it has the potential to be.

Players not caring if they die or abandon babies or if a member of their family abandons babies is the cause of a deeper issue, the game is currently a never ending cycle with no beginning or end, no long term goals.

Since everything goes in a cycle no matter what you do, your actions dont matter because it doesn't change anything and has no impact on the world, which makes every action meaningless and the game overall uninteresting.

#43 2021-02-03 07:25:11

Bellium

Dodge wrote:

It's not about being forced to do something that you dont want to, on the contrary, it's about not having the best cards but still making the best out of them and end up doing what you want to do despite the situation and having fun in the process.

But if every life you're just handed exactly what you want then every life is going to end up the same, no challenge to overcome, no creative solutions to figure out.

Let's say you're a woman and have a baby but dont want to spend time raising it, what are you going to do?

I don't think we're on the same page here... you think me wanting to be a ginger male instead of a ginger female is a "challenge to overcome". And with how the game currently is, there is no way I can make "the best out of the cards I am dealt" if I want to do race-locked stuff, unless I go to that specific fam and get one of their members to do exactly what I want, or just prepare everything and spin the roulette wheel to hope I spawn where I actually want to be next life, which isn't even making the best of my cards, that's just living another life.

The ability to decide what race and gender you spawn in doesn't define the entire life you are about to live in the next hour, just enable you to do what you actually want to do. Not being able to step foot in jungle tiles isn't a "challenge" there is no creative solutions to having babies poop out of you when you are 1k tiles away from home, and being a black female in a 10 generation town is always going to play out completely differently to being a black female in a 100th generation town.

There are about 3 practical answers to this question of having a baby that you don't want to spend time raising, A. Change your mind and raise it, B. Dumb it on someone else to raise/ in the nursery, C. Just leave it on the floor and abandon it (or wait like 30 seconds until it can walk and THEN abandon it). That's what it all boils down to if you get a baby you never wanted. Ironically, every female life you live where you don't want to just abandon every unfortunate child that gets born to you is more similar than any life you can choose, stay in the town to take care of your spawn, or just leave your fertility band.

People should be able to choose the lives they want, giving players more options for how they enjoy the game is never a bad thing. Of course, the option to have a randomly selected life should still exist, but you still want to force people to keep the cards that are dealt to them, because at the end of the day, if I want to do something that's race locked in one of my lives, there is nothing I can do with the cards I am dealt to enable to bypass that reality unless I play another life, which again is just getting a new set of cards.

It's not even like people can't bypass this already anyway, all giving options would do is reduce /die spam which only currently exists to uphold a broken system, and punishes you for using it with... another broken system, and all that results is an exercise in tedium and annoyance and a player spams /die in order to actually play the game they want, and mothers all across the server are forced to put up with it because people somehow think that by forcing people to enjoy the game in their specific vision is a good idea, and making the only way around that a mechanic that annoys everyone.

#44 2021-02-03 11:56:40

Dodge

Bellium wrote:

there is no creative solutions to having babies poop out of you when you are 1k tiles away from home.

There are about 3 practical answers to this question of having a baby that you don't want to spend time raising, A. Change your mind and raise it, B. Dumb it on someone else to raise/ in the nursery, C. Just leave it on the floor and abandon it (or wait like 30 seconds until it can walk and THEN abandon it). That's what it all boils down to if you get a baby you never wanted.

So you're far from home and you get a baby that you dont want, let's say you choose solution B, you find the nearest village and dump your baby to the closest person, they take the baby as their own and raise it, what is that baby going to do when he grows up?

Nobody knows it depends on that specific player, a unique story just got created, one that would never exist if everyone could just select every life parameter in advance before even being born.

There's other solutions to give some choice to players that doesn't involve destroying that core aspect of the game or requiring the player to /die multiple times.

#45 2021-02-03 13:16:58

Bellium

Dodge wrote:

So you're far from home and you get a baby that you dont want, let's say you choose solution B, you find the nearest village and dump your baby to the closest person, they take the baby as their own and raise it, what is that baby going to do when he grows up?

Nobody knows it depends on that specific player, a unique story just got created, one that would never exist if everyone could just select every life parameter in advance before even being born.

There's other solutions to give some choice to players that doesn't involve destroying that core aspect of the game or requiring the player to /die multiple times.

If you've got other reasonable solutions then go ahead and say them, I'm all ears. Also, why is a fertile female who doesn't want kids nearby to another village but also in their own band? I genuinely think that there are not enough people in this game for that scenario to even come about.

Also in this scenario, they're close enough to another village that their baby could walk there in a reasonable amount of time (again this is someone who doesn't want to raise their child, so if it's gonna take them three minutes they might as well feed the child themselves in the wild) so again, why are they even in their fertility band? The only way I can see this happening is that they're travelling to other villages and getting race-specific recourses for them, but if someone was doing this, they're not even really "away from town".

Also, the story is hardly unique, they're just growing up in a village, same as people always do, they'll probably leave due to the fact that they don't have the ability to communicate with anyone there, so I guess them leaving their town to find somewhere else is the new story? The story is no more unique than any life anyone lives, apart from the fact that their mother left them (no one really cares about that fact for more than like five minutes of RP, as long as someone fed them for 3 minutes they can just not care after that point) and them going to find a different town (which people do all the time anyway to find cravings, sure the reason is "unique" but the result is the exact same). Sacrificing player freedom for the "unique" and "new" story of an abandoned baby growing up to then travel to a different town really doesn't seem worth it at all.

So what my real questions to you are, 1. Why do you feel such a need to restrict player freedoms and decide what the right way to play the game is? 2. What are these other solutions you have in order to give players choice in how they play?

#46 2021-02-03 13:43:02

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

If one is the sort of person who always picks the same challenges and conditions, alright.

But, many gamers simply don't behave that way.

You can go on Twitch or YouTube and find plenty of gamers who play on different worlds, under different starting conditions, or under different settings for the same game.  There also exist players who describe and play variants.  Really, that plenty of gamers often voluntarily vary their stimuli has gotten documented for years since forums and message boards have existed.

The above claim thus lacks empirical support, and flies in the face of historical facts.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#47 2021-02-03 14:13:02

Dodge

Bellium wrote:

So what my real questions to you are, 1. Why do you feel such a need to restrict player freedoms and decide what the right way to play the game is? 2. What are these other solutions you have in order to give players choice in how they play?

1. Why cant i be free to spawn food,water or oil at will? Because it would ruin the game for me and others, you're free to do everything possible in game but what you're talking about is not freedom, it's restricting the situations that players could create when they are faced with life events, why do you feel the need to make the experience of other players limited, repetitive and boring?

2. Each server should be a different habitable planet in the same universe, if lineages die you fail and planet is abandonned you start on a new one, since lineages wouldn't die at the same time on the different servers you would end up with one planet (server) that is in Eve village phase the other one in early village, the other one in advanced civilisation etc.

In the menu you can choose in which server you want to spawn in like currently but you could see how old the world is, so if you want to play in early village you choose a server that is only a few years old, if you die though you cant respawn on the same server before waiting some time, to prevent rerolling and making you born in a random situation.

Also no more hometown birth restriction or weird iron mechanic or biome restriction etc that would be replaced by something else, not gonna go into details in that post.

#48 2021-02-03 15:08:58

Bellium

Dodge wrote:

1. Why cant i be free to spawn food,water or oil at will? Because it would ruin the game for me and others, you're free to do everything possible in game but what you're talking about is not freedom, it's restricting the situations that players could create when they are faced with life events, why do you feel the need to make the experience of other players limited, repetitive and boring?

2. Each server should be a different habitable planet in the same universe, if lineages die you fail and planet is abandonned you start on a new one, since lineages wouldn't die at the same time on the different servers you would end up with one planet (server) that is in Eve village phase the other one in early village, the other one in advanced civilisation etc.

In the menu you can choose in which server you want to spawn in like currently but you could see how old the world is, so if you want to play in early village you choose a server that is only a few years old, if you die though you cant respawn on the same server before waiting some time, to prevent rerolling and making you born in a random situation.

Also no more hometown birth restriction or weird iron mechanic or biome restriction etc that would be replaced by something else, not gonna go into details in that post.

Players deciding what race and gender they want to spawn in as is equivalent to legitimately nothing you have said, please stop trolling, people are going to continue to pick random, people are going to keep abandoning babies, all this does is give players the option to spawn where they want. You aren't "free to do everything possible in game" because of race restrictions so you're also just wrong. There's enough players to create their own unique situations without the game forcing it upon them, and there will continue to be "difficult life event" players are faced with (because I guess that's what we're calling being left in the wilderness 1k tiles away from your leader at birth) and not everyone who picks female is going to be a saint of a mother.

Also when I say solutions, I mean feasible changes that can be made within the current system, give me a solution that makes sense and can easily be fitted in with how the game work at current, not "if you just change the whole game then my idea can work!!111!"

#49 2021-02-03 15:19:45

Dodge

Bellium wrote:

Also when I say solutions, I mean feasible changes that can be made within the current system, give me a solution that makes sense and can easily be fitted in with how the game work at current, not "if you just change the whole game then my idea can work!!111!"

Yeah let's make this game even more bland and boring instead of trying to find new solutions.

At this point let's just agree to disagree... since this isn't going anywhere.

#50 2021-02-03 15:55:03

JonySky
Website

even if you agree ... you will not solve the game

PD. I also think that the choice at the beginning of the game will make OHOL more boring and bland

the OHOL problem is not solved with a screen where you can choose the birth

This is just another sloppy solution (same as / die, or gang mechanics, or race blocking)

Last edited by JonySky (2021-02-03 16:05:55)

Board footer