One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-30 23:14:43

Gogo
Banned

Where roleplaying has gone in OHOL? :(

Where are the good roleplayers? Why no one RPs anymore?

#2 2020-10-01 00:28:14

Eve Troll

Re: Where roleplaying has gone in OHOL? :(

Good role players? Lol

The game is too fast paced and the demand for work is too high for anyone to have time to roleplay. Even if you tried there would be a small battalion of people to yell at you about it. Before the kill mechanic change people would just kill you over it.

Roleplay can be fun but at its core its just a distraction, one most people can't afford.

#3 2020-10-01 04:27:02

JackTreehorn

I was doing a lot of role playing but I stopped playing because I got bored and the updates were not exciting enough. My roleplays included Ohol news team, the shopkeeper who used playing cards as currency and the most attractive man in town and others.  I had a couple of lives yesterday as a news reporter. I reported there were ghosts haunting the graveyard when a villager went to investigate I got dressed up like a ghost and scared them. Then they ran to the news room to report the sighting. One girl caught on that it was me and chased me around, eventually I got to remove my mask say my final line "I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2020-10-01 04:27:33)

Eve Audette

#4 2020-10-01 09:48:11

Arcurus

finally we have ghosts in OHOL!

#5 2020-10-01 13:04:42

Spoonwood

Arcurus wrote:

finally we have ghosts in OHOL!

boo.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2020-10-02 05:02:31

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

RP'ers go too far with everything. I've been killed by RPers many times, and I think it's gross. If you're killing someone for not following your RP maybe you should rethink your playstyle.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#7 2020-10-02 06:37:29

JackTreehorn

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

RP'ers go too far with everything. I've been killed by RPers many times, and I think it's gross. If you're killing someone for not following your RP maybe you should rethink your playstyle.

It goes both ways, I've had multiple people steal batteries from the radio and hide them and others destroy the walls of my house. If your ruining someone else's fun for your own enjoyment you need to rethink your actions.

Eve Audette

#8 2020-10-02 17:32:38

karltown_veteran

I stopped playing because no one would roleplay with me and everyone was so boring and mean sad I would say “let’s settle our dispute in court” hoping to create a legal system for our town and they’d be like “no this rope is mine and I’m not giving it back stop bugging me or I’ll stab you” or they’ll just ignore me *sigh*

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#9 2020-10-02 18:05:38

Gogo
Banned

I agree, some players are boring and mean.

#10 2020-10-02 19:10:21

Caprys

Gogo wrote:

Why thank you, I didn't think anyone would notice. But seriously, I'm to shy for roleplay and not that good at improvising (certainly not in English). I like to watch people that are roleplaying. It's sometimes very entertaining.

#11 2020-10-02 19:27:08

Spoonwood

Caprys wrote:
Gogo wrote:

Why thank you, I didn't think anyone would notice. But seriously, I'm to shy for roleplay and not that good at improvising (certainly not in English). I like to watch people that are roleplaying. It's sometimes very entertaining.

Gogo said some players.  Why would you be one of those players?

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-10-02 19:30:17

Gogo
Banned

Caprys wrote:
Gogo wrote:

Why thank you, I didn't think anyone would notice.

I actually wrote that to see true meany in you. tongue

What kills rp is contant need for food. And leadership. Before leaders you could become powerful, right now if you wanna start something like mafia, a leader would probably stops you. Once I tried and succeded, but it involved an innocent leader to die. I gathered several people to become mafia members, one of member was killed by leader, I killed leader and next one was in mafia already. But even that it doesn't do jack shit, because organization become soft and doesn't did anything after we took over.

#13 2020-10-02 21:54:58

Caprys

Spoonwood wrote:
Caprys wrote:
Gogo wrote:

Gogo said some players.  Why would you be one of those players?

I'm not the most entertianing player, very low on communication and I certainly have pissed some people off. Some people love me, some people hate me. You can't win them all.

#14 2020-10-03 02:18:24

OneOfMany

Gogo wrote:

Where are the good roleplayers? Why no one RPs anymore?

Well my friend, let me tell you a tale of my greatest RP experience in OHOL. TLDR I RPed a way to play without a town, that's not possible anymore, due to home land restrictions and such, but it was way fun while it lasted and I might of got the wild berry bush nerfed because of it. <sorry>

This tale takes place in a time long ago. After the Rift, but still in the time of the fruitful wild berry bush and the people who loved them. At this time, a wild berry bush, even if striped of berries, would regrow all it's berries back. There were also no homeland restrictions on births. This was the time when both players and berry bushes were allowed to live free, in the wilds. I refined a play style where you live off the land, always moving, with small camps (or possibly stealing <trading?>) to make useful things, like knives and bowls, pies and what not. I had a bit of a ritual to initiate the young. If you know this story or you experienced it in game, then you we're my child or one of children’s children.

As soon as my child was born, I would bring them to the nearest full wild berry bush. Then I would strip off all the berries and throw them on the ground, in front of them. In their confusion, I scope them up as say these words.

This bush is your bush
it represents your life.
Wild berries regrow,
one per ten mins.
When this bush is full,
you will be dead.
This bush is like us,
it is wild and free.
It lives in the greens,
as do we.
Never go hungry again.
I will make you clothes
and bp.
The land will offer them up.
We need no town,
no well.
We are not caged,
we are free.

There's a reason the speech is so long, because by this time the SIDs timer has run out. That was not generally a problem because most people seemed very happy to learn. I did have a kid apologize for not wanting to live that lifestyle and wanting to commit suicide. I told him, he was blameless and that I still loved him even if he was a towns person.

There were unforeseen complications to this "live wild and free" lifestyle and I fear one of my progeny may have been responsible for a debacle that ended up getting wild berries nerfed, so that they won't regrow if picked bare. If so, I apologize to the majestic wild berry bush and regardless, I hope one day Jason may see it fit to once again to bless the wild berry bush to exist truly wild and free. #FreeTheWildBerryBush

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#15 2020-10-03 04:51:04

Gogo
Banned

@BushLivesMatter

#16 2020-10-03 05:12:04

BlueCramberry64

My most memorable lives come from a good balance between roleplaying and working. As long as you don't need to do all the work mantaining the town there is opportunity to roleplay.

I still remember one time I got married to a pretty lady. We met as kids and decided to build a garden together. We finished and died dancing on it. There was some real chemistry there. Somethimes I still miss her...

Another time I was an abusive mother to 10 kids. The town was poor and most of my kids had griffer tendencies. I had the time to interact with most of them, they were all great kids deep down, even the ones that threatened to kill me. We were so poor we didn't had any knives. I died being the worst mom ever.

#17 2020-10-03 05:39:40

Gogo
Banned

/dance
would be cool

#18 2020-10-03 12:26:40

Cogito

I mostly just enjoy getting stuff done, but there is room for silliness and ritual and drama in all things.

My favourite thing to do, if tending sheep for some reason, is to take a rope and lead a sheep to one of the kitchen, the nursery, or (most often) the well.

I then do a speech about how we are offering this sheep so that we may never go hungry/we have lots of babies/the well never goes dry. It's fun, if a bit melodramatic.

Oh, and then I kill it.

Last edited by Cogito (2020-10-03 12:26:56)

#19 2020-10-03 21:29:33

Arcurus

Cogito wrote:

Oh, and then I kill it.

Oh  no! You killed a innocent sheep!

OneOfMany wrote:

...At this time, a wild berry bush, even if striped of berries, would regrow all it's berries back. There were also no homeland restrictions on births. This was the time when both players and berry bushes were allowed to live free, in the wilds.

lol, this sounds like a fairytale, imagine a free life without birth control and dead berry bushed, what a paradise this must have been....

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-10-03 21:29:49)

#20 2020-10-04 01:09:28

OneOfMany

Arcurus wrote:
OneOfMany wrote:

...At this time, a wild berry bush, even if striped of berries, would regrow all it's berries back. There were also no homeland restrictions on births. This was the time when both players and berry bushes were allowed to live free, in the wilds.

lol, this sounds like a fairytale, imagine a free life without birth control and dead berry bushed, what a paradise this must have been....

It was even better. At the time there wasn't the generational food drain. So berries always gave 6 pips. Basically, all you had to do was keep moving to fresh greens and gather useful things along the way.  You be surprised how easy it was to cloth a family. They were always amazed when I started making them clothes in the wilds.

This time for me, was my most happiest time in the game. Alas, it's not possible anymore, but I still have fun, even if being semi-locked to a town.

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#21 2020-10-04 03:14:19

Spoonwood

OneOfMany wrote:

So berries always gave 6 pips.

No.  It was 5 pips usually.  There also existed a time after the 2019 winter sale where they gave 7 pips.  They might have given 3 on game release, since they give 5 from a default of 3 and a server bonus of 2.

Danish Clinch.

#22 2020-10-04 04:04:35

OneOfMany

Spoonwood wrote:
OneOfMany wrote:

So berries always gave 6 pips.

No.  It was 5 pips usually.

I stand corrected. I was questioning if it was 5 or 6, when I posted. Either way it was a very different world.

#23 2020-10-04 04:47:25

Eve Troll

RP without purpose is just cringe.

Why not rp as oil barrons, smugglers, miners, etc.

When you rp without a purpose its just distracting.

#24 2020-10-04 06:31:23

OneOfMany

Eve Troll wrote:

RP without purpose is just cringe.

I  developed this play style during a time when towns were old and roads were long. Technically the oldest to date. Voltaire. I starting playing it for fun. Then I realized it was a way to teach people how to Eve. So I taught them a way of living without a town. Right now, in the current setup, you could use the same skills to setup your Eve settlement as close as possible to another beneficial race. Only because before you setup the first well, your family is in free reign. Once your family digs a well, you are forever land locked.

#25 2020-10-04 12:21:02

wondible

OneOfMany wrote:

Only because before you setup the first well, your family is in free reign. Once your family digs a well, you are forever land locked.

Note that only eve has free reign. Any children can be fertile without a homeland, but as soon as they stumble into somebody else's, they are are stuck until they get a true homeland.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

Board footer