One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-09-26 15:19:21

DestinyCall

Re: Racists are harming their own race

Gogo wrote:

Mixed families won't work with all these allies / gate / leader mechanics, when you want to spot outsider quickly.

As I mentioned, that was the original motivation for the change.   We looked too much alike when all skin tones could be family.  Skin color is an easy way to distinguish people at a glance, in the real world and in the game.   If the whole village is ginger, one black person really stands out.  Xenophobia is easier if people are color-coded for your convince.  Fearing people that look different from you is "natural", right?  People do it all the time in the real world. 

Rather than using an in-game labeling system (like the little colored patches), Jason opted for a more "natural" approach.  Judge them by their skin-tone.

Simple.  Easy.  And just a little bit racist.

Like I said before, this was the first major design change that brought racism into the game itself.  I understand the logic behind wanting to make it easier to recognize "us" versus "them".  Soldiers (and sports teams) wear colored uniforms so they know if they should shoot at the person in front of them.  It lets them know if they are dealing with friend or foe, even if they have never met and know nothing about each other except their color.   

And I realize that Jason was hoping to encourage more complex social interactions between villages by forcing them to segregate into visually and geo-graphically distinct groups using homelands and biome restrictions.  If we were all just one big happy multi-racial family we could never have group conflicts, war stories, trade between groups, and the like.  But the parallels with real-world racial tensions and prejudice are unavoidable.   

Whether he realized it at the time or not, Jason was trying to make racism and xenophobia into "real-play" instead of role-play.   And it worked.

#27 2020-09-26 15:33:01

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

The point where things started to go sideways from a game development perspective was when Jason decided to change how skin color inheritance worked to be more "realistic".  Don't recall exactly when it happened, some time in late 2018 or early 2019, I think.  After that update, a black Eve would only have black babies and a white Eve always has white babies.

I first played in December of 2018.  My recollection is that it wasn't until the "Come Together Update" that, for example, a black Eve would only have black babies.  Or Come Together Disaster if you prefer.

DestinyCall wrote:

And after the biome restrictions update, your skin color was now a part of the game.

In another comment I tried to clarify that it was biome *access* restrictions update.  More precisely players access to objects in biomes got restricted.  Biome Object Access Restrictions-BOAR.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#28 2020-09-26 16:56:07

DestinyCall

Oh yes, the infamous "Coming Together" update, or as I always think of it, the war swords update.   

Fun times, fun times.

Sometimes, I like to think about how the OHOL world might have been different if Jason had just added languages in that update, instead of moving us so close together and giving us magic swords that only worked to kill other families.   

I had a lot of fun messing around with the language filter, but the non-stop attacks from feral Eves really put a damper on my enthusiasm for language learning.   I think languages could have been developed much further if they had not been overshadowed by all the death and mayhem caused by war swords.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6395

The news post is rather vague, considering everything that was changed, but the little animation covers the high-points.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-09-26 17:19:47)

#29 2020-09-28 18:09:03

Gogo
Banned

@Destiny what good comes from this update, is that you can clearly see there are racists. Yesterday I was shot in ginger town, I brought horse from desert and someone instantly was hostile even if I was obviously helping. Next life I was white, I came to that town again, was eating their foods and chat, didn't work, no one bothers to kill me.

If you hide racism behind multi racial families - it still exist. So why hide it, allow people to be what they truly are. Fake equality blurs reality.

PS. I remind that curses now stay for 90 days and you got unique cursed nick, same for everyone that cursed you. :>

#30 2020-09-28 18:51:47

Spoonwood

Gogo wrote:

If you hide racism behind multi racial families - it still exist. So why hide it, allow people to be what they truly are. Fake equality blurs reality.

Fake superiority also hides and distorts reality.  The game being intended as a work of art, it can readily get interpreted as saying that whites have intellectual superiority to other races in the real world, or should in some hypothetical future.  If you think it's true that whites have intellectual superiority, I'll point out that one of the biggest intellectual giants ever was Euclid of *Alexandria in Egypt*.  It was Arabic people who invented algebra.  The concept of the number 0 got invented by Indian people (not Native Americans).  The Milesian school of philosophers was from Anatolia in present day Turkey.  Confucius was from China.  Civilization itself, often gets said to have started in Mesopotomia.  And building what usually gets understood as The Pyramids (there were Pyramids elsewhere), which required sophisticated intellectual planning I'm sure, happened in Egypt.  And Richard Feynman, a prominent and sharp physicist of his day, found it worth his time to study meso-american astronomical works.

Danish Clinch.

#31 2020-09-28 21:20:57

DestinyCall

Gogo wrote:

@Destiny what good comes from this update, is that you can clearly see there are racists. Yesterday I was shot in ginger town, I brought horse from desert and someone instantly was hostile even if I was obviously helping. Next life I was white, I came to that town again, was eating their foods and chat, didn't work, no one bothers to kill me.

PS. I remind that curses now stay for 90 days and you got unique cursed nick, same for everyone that cursed you. :>

You could find the racists quite easily before biome restrictions.   They didn't hide.  Racists don't need an in-game justification to be dicks to other people.  They will do it to their own family if they are born the wrong color.

#32 2020-09-29 03:17:26

Gogo
Banned

@Spoonwood I think most of video games were made by white guys. And they're keep pushing left side ideals in them, nowadays even too hard. You should appreciate this work rather than nag (sorry, not brag, I meant nag) about it and called names like 'supremacy' like it's something really bad. Shame on you.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-09-29 19:01:30)

#33 2020-09-29 14:36:46

Spoonwood

Gogo wrote:

@Spoonwood I think most of video games were made by white guys. And they're keep pushing left side ideals in them, nowadays even too hard. You should appreciate this work rather than brag about it and called names like 'supremacy' like it's something really bad. Shame on you.

No Gogo.  Viewing whites as intellectually superior as a class is bad.  You had NO response to all the examples I had.  You merely ignored them and attempted in a shaming tactic.

Danish Clinch.

#34 2020-09-29 19:19:31

Gogo
Banned

Because you deserved it. If you feel bad because many white people are workaholics and creative, it's just your racist attitude. Maybe start to be creative on your own. All you can do is complain about others work.

Board footer